• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage aggression?

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
Hello! I was wondering if anyone has suggestions to tone down cage aggression.
My Quaker that I got pretty recently is very friendly once out of his cage but when he’s in it or on it he can be pretty nasty. For instance I was trying to change his food while he was in the cage (my mistake) I thought because he was fairly far from the door where I put the food it would be fine but he flew up and bit me, it wasn’t a really bad bite but bad enough to break skin, the real problem was how he held on. Quakers are very prone to cage aggression so I’m not sure if this could ever completely go away but I would like to be able to get him to step onto a ladder from his cage without him violently attacking it lol. He also will fly over to the budgies cage and get aggressive over that cage to, he hasn’t been bothered by the budgies but he gets bothered by me trying to change toys and stuff in their cage.
If anybody has any suggestions they are very welcome, thanks!

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
My lovebird is totally fine when he is out of the cage, he really likes when I change his cages and helps me when I’m working on it by. He’s not scared of me at all. Strangely, he gets aggressive if my hand is in the cage when he is there or even when I put my fingers in from the outside. I’ve just gathered that he is possessive. Im going to continue to work on it but I think it’s just his personality like mine mine mine

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Let me tag @Pixiebeak and @Mizzely they have Quakers and can perhaps offer some advice.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I just except it as a fact of life. Because it is so easy to deal with, I have a perch on the swing door and one ( well really lots) attached to outside of cage by door. So when they are on door perch and I swing open , like magic they are sweeties. Then I have them step up and I move them to the top of csge perches or someplace then do all my cage stuff. During peak hormones spring I often need to ask to step to outside cage perch first.

I was told long ago to not try and eliminate or train away in csge aggression with them as would escalate. True or not I've never bothered. Because once they step out they are dolls.

Bringing something to the cage every time could seem like an invasion. So attach something on the outside by the door. Then work from there. And give a treat when they step out to your outside cage perch. And brag and praise, mine are suckers for flattering

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
yes also mine protect their flock mates cages. If they get in someone's empty cage they go nuts with excitement.

So my routine is to let the flock out. Then i serve morning veggies on long Square ( maybe sushi plates) dishes on top of cages. They are very much excited to eat and such a routine. Then I sevice all the cages and close doors afterwards. or if needed put t em all back. Most are trained to return when asked.

Many parrots of different species seem prone to attack a caged parrot, even if friends when out of cages. At least this has always held true for me. Also why I have acrylic on top of all cages

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
I just except it as a fact of life. Because it is so easy to deal with, I have a perch on the swing door and one ( well really lots) attached to outside of cage by door. So when they are on door perch and I swing open , like magic they are sweeties. Then I have them step up and I move them to the top of csge perches or someplace then do all my cage stuff. During peak hormones spring I often need to ask to step to outside cage perch first.

I was told long ago to not try and eliminate or train away in csge aggression with them as would escalate. True or not I've never bothered. Because once they step out they are dolls.

Bringing something to the cage every time could seem like an invasion. So attach something on the outside by the door. Then work from there. And give a treat when they step out to your outside cage perch. And brag and praise, mine are suckers for flattering
I’ll try putting perches around the door! Milo is always pretty eager to get out in the morning so that might be the best time to clean the cages and food bowls?

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I haven't really had on top of cages aggressive behavior. But same idea , place a perch on the front a little lower down than top of cage. Ask him to step there then to you. I tap perch and show a seed treat to teach st first. When they come to perch I have tapped I reward. Pretty quickly they just come to tapped perch for praise. But I random reward for life. Ike every 5th or 10th time I give a reward.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I’ll try putting perches around the door! Milo is always pretty eager to get out in the morning so that might be the best time to clean the cages and food bowls?
Sure! A solid routine let's everyone know what's expected. Predictably is good with parrots. But its good to practice at different times , have your routine time, but also get him used to come out to perch when asked, because often water needs changed from poop or food stuff

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
one if my worst bites and only bite Pikachu has ever given me . Was when they were all out and I was fussy around Inside penny's cage. Pikachu came over and climbed in Penny's cage and fast as lightning took a chunk out of my hand. I wasn't even looking at her so really caught me off guard.

After shock and wound care. I just asked her to step out. Sweely did, and then I asked her step up so I could move her far away. She leaned in for kisses and cuddle . I couldn't be mad at her for instinctual behavior, and she wasn't mad at me for my mistake either.

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
Sure! A solid routine let's everyone know what's expected. Predictably is good with parrots. But its good to practice at different times , have your routine time, but also get him used to come out to perch when asked, because often water needs changed from poop or food stuff
The only problem I have is 3 days of the week I have to wake up around 6, the other days I wake up at about 8, my budgies never had a problem with this and got used to it very fast but do you think he will also be able to get used to this schedule?

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
The only problem I have is 3 days of the week I have to wake up around 6, the other days I wake up at about 8, my budgies never had a problem with this and got used to it very fast but do you think he will also be able to get used to this schedule?
Yes