• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage aggression

AlisaL

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alisa LaVine
Hi, everyone,
I'm new to AA and a new parrotlet mom. I brought home my fallow green girl two weeks ago from a reputable breeder. She was hand-raised and tame. She will be 3 months on the 10th of this month. Her name is Sassypants but I use Sassy just as often.

She's an absolute joy. She loves being with me and since I'm disabled and home all day, spends a lot of time out of her cage. One of her favorite things to do is to snuggle up under my chin or against my face for a quick nap.

I realize that she's young and hasn't had her first bout of hormones. Currently, she isn't cage aggressive at all. I'm always in and out of her cage and right now, she's more curious than anything. She never knows when I might have a bit of her favorite treat in my hand so maybe she's just hoping!

She is my only animal companion. I have no plans on getting another bird. With my disability one is enough!

My question is this: if I continue on our current path, lots of out of the cage time, snuggle time, time with my hands in and out of her cage, showers, etc., will this make her any less prone to becoming cage aggressive?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or wisdom you may share!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Welcome to AA. I will tage a member who knows this species. Can you get a photo of your little darlin?

@finchly

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi Alisa,
What a perfect name for a parrotlet! :laugh: I have several of these little rascals myself. You’re very lucky to have one that is so tame.

I’m sorry but no - your continued attention won’t necessarily keep your baby from being cage aggressive. There’s this age where they “turn” and we have little to do with it. All you can do is learn to work around it.
A friend told me that around the age of 2, parrotlets decide whether they want to be pets or breeders - and go in that direction. I’m not sure I totally believe that. Just store it in the back of your mind.
My dilute turquoise girl is my most tame one. She is cage aggressive and becomes intent on biting off your fingers! So I have to carefully keep out of the ways when feeding her. But let her out of the cage and she turns into an angel.

AlisaL

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alisa LaVine
Hi Alisa,
What a perfect name for a parrotlet! :laugh: I have several of these little rascals myself. You’re very lucky to have one that is so tame.

I’m sorry but no - your continued attention won’t necessarily keep your baby from being cage aggressive. There’s this age where they “turn” and we have little to do with it. All you can do is learn to work around it.
A friend told me that around the age of 2, parrotlets decide whether they want to be pets or breeders - and go in that direction. I’m not sure I totally believe that. Just store it in the back of your mind.
My dilute turquoise girl is my most tame one. She is cage aggressive and becomes intent on biting off your fingers! So I have to carefully keep out of the ways when feeding her. But let her out of the cage and she turns into an angel.
Well, that is disappointing but what I expected. Nothing that will turn me off though! I'll just enjoy the easy times while I have them! Thank you! ❤

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Cute little birdie. I bet she would like nibbling on cooked noodles judging by the photo.

AlisaL

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alisa LaVine
Cute little birdie. I bet she would like nibbling on cooked noodles judging by the photo.
I'm going to try whole wheat spaghetti. She loves grains and cereals!

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
With my parrot let she gets hours upon hours of socialization every day. She’s 3 years old and has never had a bad bout of hormonal behavoir! There’s no guarantee that cuddling will prevent it, but I think that it helps! Just keep on doing what your doing and hope for the best!! :)

AlisaL

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alisa LaVine
With my parrot let she gets hours upon hours of socialization every day. She’s 3 years old and has never had a bad bout of hormonal behavoir! There’s no guarantee that cuddling will prevent it, but I think that it helps! Just keep on doing what your doing and hope for the best!! :)
Sassy gets tons of socialization too! She spends a good 6 hours a day out of her cage. She calls for me if I leave the room for more than a few minutes. Unless she's eating...

You give me hope. Thank you!❤

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
I agree with the members. I’m not experienced like they have with the pllts. But I do find it true to keep interacting with them and engaged and they hopefully will stay nice little veloptobirds lol my 1 yr old thinks she’s helping (supervising) me clean her cage lol