• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage advice

Kiyay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tina
Looking for advice for a cage for Rocky when he comes home. He is a Green Cheek Conure, I’ve been looking at so many cages I’m just not sure what to go with.

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
There are some good threads on "toys and cages bypass" (if I remember the name correctly)

A&E has some good ones,
My favorite are the dome top with little balcony things. Sort of like this one, but watch out for bar spacing, I recommend 1/2 inch. I don't know if you can safely go any larger.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
32x21 flight cages are perfect for the smaller conures, and there’s some more economical options on Amazon.

This Prevue one’s popular on there, but I’ll add my two-cents, it’s decently worth shelling out for the sturdier A&E or HQ flights. Mine are both A&E flights and have lasted 5+ years.

Kiyay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tina
There are some good threads on "toys and cages bypass" (if I remember the name correctly)

A&E has some good ones,
My favorite are the dome top with little balcony things. Sort of like this one, but watch out for bar spacing, I recommend 1/2 inch. I don't know if you can safely go any larger.
Thank you

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How big is that cage? Based on wingspan, the minimum sized cage for a GCC should be 24x24" (info from Wingspan Info | Natural Inspirations Parrot cages) and that's on the small side. Many people use a 32x21" flight cage for their GCC and that seems to work well.

If the cage is this one, then it's too small and the bird will barely be able to spread out its wings without hitting the sides.

I really do think it's worth getting the biggest cage you can. Even if the bird is usually out for most of the day, there are always going to be times when they get less time outside the cage than they usually would: a busy time at work, someone getting sick and you needing to care for them, you getting sick, visitors who aren't comfortable with birds or who can't be trusted to keep doors and windows closed, painting or redecorating, any of the unpredictable life events that mean that we have less time to spend with a bird. A bigger cage gives you the scope to create more interesting layouts, offer a variety of perches and has more space for toys. You can set up foraging toys, shredding toys, toys made of different materials etc and it's both more enriching for your bird and more fun for you to watch.

Last edited:

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Cheddar is in a Kings Cage, SLT4 2620, that is 26x20x34 with 1/2" bar spacing nd it works well, a bit pricey at $449.00. I had a HQ and am thinking of another for BB, HQ82620, is the same size but has a bit more room due to the design ot the top but gives up ur fold down flight door. It's about $180.00 less though at $269. I had the same cage for the Tiels but it went with them. BTW Cheddar loves his.

Links so you can see them with the Kings Cage first

the HQ here

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Tbh I feel ur cage is appropriate for a gcc so long as he gets lots of outdoor time and enrichment, if u could provide the dimensions it would help us decide, seeing ur kitchen reminds me, make sure u have all cookware that is ptfe and pfoa free don’t take the risk parrots can easily die and suffer from the fumes.

Kiyay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tina
Oh no, I’m so disappointed. I just purchased his cage and he is supposed to be coming home on Saturday. The young lady at the pet store assured me that this cage would be big enough for him. Any advice? I am going to need to a bit to save for another cage. :(

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I'd go at least 26"x 20"x 34" on a regular bird cage or 32" x 24" x 40" for a flight cage. The major difference is the regular bird cage will generally have feeder doors, small door to let you change food and water bowls without having to put your hangs in the cage. Where as most flight cages do not have feeder doors so you have to reach in to change the bowls. Well both my guys are very cage territorial and sticking my hands in BB cage is somewhat akin to stick my hand in a running garbage disposal, yes I will be bleeding when BB is done with me. I had Riti, my little Kakariki who passed away last year from cancer, and it was never a problem with her but Conure's are a lot more aggressive. I plan to buy another cage like I have Cheddar in when I move to Tampa in June (I hope it'll be ready then) to replace the flight cage BB's in.

I have learned in almost 20 years of having birds that buying too large of cage can be just as bad as buying too small a cage. A large cage of equal quality will cost more, sometime much more. The bigger they are the harder to move around they are, and big cages can be a real PITA to clean. Match the cage to the bird. Cheddar is fine in the 26" x 20" x 34" cage and as plenty of room certainly when he's out most of the day. I had Nibble, Tiel, in a 32" x 23" x 50" parrot cage and he was lost in it, he just sat in one place. He ended up in a cage the same size as the one Cheddar is in with two other Tiels and they are all happy, but they do get lots of time out.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What are the measurements of the cage you currently have?

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
That's a little small but with lots of time out should work. I'd give it a try but be prepared to upgrade as needed. It's only 4" narrower and 3" shallower than what I use.

Kiyay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tina
That's a little small but with lots of time out should work. I'd give it a try but be prepared to upgrade as needed. It's only 4" narrower and 3" shallower than what I use.
Could you tell me how I will know if I need to upgrade? He seems so tiny right now how much bigger is he going to get? Also I plan on making an outside area for him to be able to play on. Do you think he would enjoy that?

Budgie33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laura
I absolutely love my Prevue Hendryx Wrought Iron Fligh Cage XL (I have it for one budgie). The only thing I would recommend is attaching perches or toys to the doors on the side of the cage, that way the birds can't open them. You could always just tie bird safe rope around the doors as well, that way they can't get out. All they have to do is push, and they fly open.

Budgie33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laura
I absolutely love my Prevue Hendryx Wrought Iron Fligh Cage XL (I have it for one budgie). The only thing I would recommend is attaching perches or toys to the doors on the side of the cage, that way the birds can't open them. You could always just tie bird safe rope around the doors as well, that way they can't get out. All they have to do is push, and they fly open.
The value for the price is super great too!