• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage advice needed :)

greengobbl

Moving in
Real Name
Kirsten
Hello, my 45 yr Amazon Blue Fronted parrot needs a new cage. He's been with me for 41 yrs now and we haven't had to cage shop for about 25 years, so we know nothing about current cage companies or their cages.

When this cage hunt started I thought I'd just order him a California Cage, only to find they've been out of business for years! Now I'm finding that there do not seem to be any powder coated cages that aren't made in China and stainless, while undoubtedly the best, seems kind of cold (feeling) to me.

Anyway, I'm looking for a dometop that's at least 30" x 40" maybe up to 48" in length. I very much do not want to have to use a grate, as he has never had one and he does like to be able to walk around on his paper sometimes. I've been looking at the Avian Adventures grande and hacienda dometops, but I'm concerned that the divided tray (ledge) could be dangerous if the cage were used without the grate and he fell on the ledge. I have also been looking at the King's cage 30 x 40 dometop with the patio.

Are these cages good quality? Are there others I should look at? Are the Avian Adventures doors too small?

Thank you for your advice :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
My amazon also has an older cage, so I'm not sure which maker is better these days.
My cage from my zon is a play top, and it's his favorite place.
When I upgrade, I'll definitely find one with a play top for him.
But mine is a laid back lazy bird, who's happiest kicking back close to home.
Is your bird age afflicted, in that he falls? I know I'd hesitate also if I was worried about the tray divider bar.

I kind of like this one.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
All of my birds have Avian Adventures cages. From my Cockatoo, and both Amazons, even my parrotlet had one.

All cages have been in use since 2008, 2009 and 2016. No issues with paint or finish, never any issues with rust. They have been great cages.

My Mealy and Cockatoo both have the Grande Playtop. My Red Lored being smaller has the Mediana Playtop. Domes gives you a taller inside dimension. But if they are out of the cage alot, Playtop cages are great. The playtops are removable, so you can set up a play area with them.

Dimensions are really nice for the larger cages. If your bird is out of it's cage alot, the Mediana is fine. Bar spacing on the Grande is vertical on the sides, horizontal on the front door etc. My Red Lored can climb up and down on the Grande. It isn't too big for him to navigate, but it's IMO too big for him.

But bigger is better so you can fill it up with lots of toys and boings!

greengobbl

Moving in
Real Name
Kirsten
He doesn't usually fall off of his perch, but occasionally (maybe once or twice per year) something will happen at night (usually the middle of the night) where he ends up on the floor of his cage, upset. I usually hear the commotion of him flapping his wings and falling and find him on the floor of his cage, all fanned out and vocalizing (alarm call).

He's just had his checkup with his avian vet and he does have arthritis in his feet and hocks and he's on metacam for that and seems to be doing well. She says that his grip strength is very strong, his bloodwork was good, his heart looked good on the ultrasound, and he is a pretty good flyer (when he wants to).

I think the only cage modifications he needs are some horizontal bars on the sides, to make climbing easier (has always refused to use a ladder). He likes to slide down vertical bars.

He currently has a playtop, but doesn't go up on it and prefers to sit on his cage door. He also has a parrot play center hanging gym (not sure they're still in business) he likes to be on when out of his cage. So, his current playtop has ended up being the place where his extra cage floor papers and cage covering blanket get kept. I'd rather that he have that space to use and I can find somewhere else to keep his things. He spends more time in his cage than out due to our work schedules.

How is the door size on the Avian Adventures grande? I'm leaning towards that cage right now (the AA grande dometop) due to what I've read on here about customer service for King's cages, plus the fact that most of their cages are currently out of stock for at least 2 months (some up to 4 or 5 months).

I'm not sure if it's due to covid, or just time of year, but many cages (for a variety of manufacturers) are out of stock. Is it normally such a struggle to get a cage?