• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent CAG Parrot Einstein

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I was thinking low CA also. What did you feed her regularily? Pellets?

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Low calcium would have different symptoms.How did the vet come to the conclusion that he has Mutated Paramyxovirus infection. If He has not seen the bird or done blood work.How long now has he been acting poorly?And you say he seems a bit better after you feed him ,so keep giving him good warm food(Lots of ideas in the posts.One more question--Does he have any time in natural sunlight or do you have proper uva/uvb lights for him?
Amazon.com : UVA/UVB Parrot lights Please keep us posted on how he is doing. 1673305823258.jpeg

Atifkamal

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Atif Kamal
Yes a female can lay eggs without a male.
Its something to consider along with illnesses. But you would probably see straining and swollen messy cloaca with a stuck egg...tho not always if the issue is higher up.

Low calcium is always something to think about in greys. And the odd red feathers can indicate fatty liver .

Some good foods to try are warm mashed sweet potatoes . You could also soak some healthy pellets and grind up add to the sweet potatoes and serve until yiu get the baby burd formula. A little scrambled egg might go over well.

Has the burd been exposed to other burds recently? Or any tainted food or water?
Sure.. I would check in the evening as i left for my work.
Formula ordered but i requested the seller he is agree to deliver privately today for sure.

No, she hasn't been exposed to other birds although i have many budgies but they are separate on the roof top in large cage, i dont share any thing between them. Tainted food, i think no... I use to give him mix seeds purchased, mixed and stored separately.

Atifkamal

Real Name
Atif Kamal
Low calcium would have different symptoms.How did the vet come to the conclusion that he has Mutated Paramyxovirus infection. If He has not seen the bird or done blood work.How long now has he been acting poorly?And you say he seems a bit better after you feed him ,so keep giving him good warm food(Lots of ideas in the posts.One more question--Does he have any time in natural sunlight or do you have proper uva/uvb lights for him?
Amazon.com : UVA/UVB Parrot lights Please keep us posted on how he is doing. View attachment 420914
I had conversation with vian and sent him video and asked to visit him but he was on his government duty so he refused to meet and told me this. Yes occasionally i let him to enjoy direct su light but in last month or so i could not be able to put him in open area.

Atifkamal

Real Name
Atif Kamal
I was thinking low CA also. What did you feed her regularily? Pellets?
From the start i am giving him mixed seeds, will post pic in evening.

Beside seeds fruits we use according to season

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Here is a list of highly recommended veggies for parrots to get enough Vitamin A.
  • Sweet potato – can be served in the cooked and mashed form.
  • Carrots have special vitamin A which is essential for Gray Parrots. It is sweet and can be served in the boiled form
  • Peppers – green, red, and yellow betters are high in vitamin C which is essential for the bird’s immune system and will save it from switching to external supplements. These veggies will provide Vitamin A which parrots need in their diet.
Seeds and fruits alone are not complete nutrition for a parrot such as African Grey.

Atifkamal

Real Name
Atif Kamal
This is the seed mix I am giving to Einstein since years, along with this mix we often give him fruits and veggies, little amount of peanuts in winter. In short what we use to consume also shared with Einstein excluding chocolate and dairy products.

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Here is a list of highly recommended veggies for parrots to get enough Vitamin A.
  • Sweet potato – can be served in the cooked and mashed form.
  • Carrots have special vitamin A which is essential for Gray Parrots. It is sweet and can be served in the boiled form
  • Peppers – green, red, and yellow betters are high in vitamin C which is essential for the bird’s immune system and will save it from switching to external supplements. These veggies will provide Vitamin A which parrots need in their diet.
Seeds and fruits alone are not complete nutrition for a parrot such as African Grey.
Nutrition is linked either bodies immunity and abilities to fight off infection.
In usa and possibly world we have been brain washed to think fruit is the best source of nutrition when many vegetables exceed in nutrition.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Parrots often enjoy the more tart and or bitter(? ) taste of veggies.
On fruits most guidelines are only 10% of total diet ..veggies you can offer as much as they want to eat

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Im glad she is getting better ..Im going to say you need to put in a couple of more perches and some toys in her cage ..Is this the cage she lives in ...I would think about getting a bigger and better cage for her if this is her normal cage ...She could be getting metal poising from the cage as it isnt covered well with paint and there is allot of metal showing ... Im sure there isnt very many good cages around where you live but I would look.. her cage could be the issue .... ;)

Atifkamal

Real Name
Atif Kamal
Im glad she is getting better ..Im going to say you need to put in a couple of more perches and some toys in her cage ..Is this the cage she lives in ...I would think about getting a bigger and better cage for her if this is her normal cage ...She could be getting metal poising from the cage as it isnt covered well with paint and there is allot of metal showing ... Im sure there isnt very many good cages around where you live but I would look.. her cage could be the issue .... ;)
Toys removed because of space... its small cage..
Regarding paint yes, I was thinking about this in the morning on the way going to my work, i thought to get the cage powder coating paint or if i can get some Stainless steel type thingy. Let me check what is available in market in affordable range

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The bigger the cage the better.

Atifkamal

Real Name
Atif Kamal
Hey experts!
By the grace of Almighty Einstein is going better now, one thing i wanted to discuss with you that you can see he is plucking feathers, please advise me the remedy for re growing feathers fast as my daughter has a pet show forward in her school. Should i put aime cd/dvd around his neck he couls not be able to reach and off course any medicine for healing this condition faster.

Thanks,

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Feathers grow in at their own speed. There is no way to make them grow faster. Do not use cd or dvd because they are too stiff and can hurt your bird. Look up on the Internet Elizabethan collar for pets. I call them collars of love.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Glad to hear Einstein is doing better.
You can get soft collars online for aiding in his plucking issue.
I hope you can get a better cage for him. :)