• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent CAG Parrot Einstein

Atifkamal

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Atif Kamal
Hello experts,

My CAG is not doing well, she is not taking food, became quite, lethargic and week just in one day, yesterday she was drinking water more than normal. Accepted few sunflower seed from my hand but not eating normal her poop is also not normal like liquid quatity is more, I am attaching pictures here please advice me.

Attachments

Atifkamal

Real Name
Atif Kamal
Yesterday video of Einstein.
Unable to find any avian here, got one over the phone he said to give brufen 1ml and septran DS 2ml in one litre water, 1ml x 3 times a day.
Today i have given him cerelac with syringe and a little bit pediyaLite (Electrolyte for toddlers)

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Can you get parrot hand feeding formula? Or something soft you can warm slightly and feed on a spoon?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Often baby cereal is too high in iron for parrots long term, but short term it is probably better than nothing. I am not sure what else to do for him besides supportive care.

Atifkamal

Real Name
Atif Kamal
You are right, giving him what is available around, i have to search parrot feeding formula let see tomorrow morning would try to get some but i think cerelac is life saver till he is not coming on self feed what do you say?
Better than leaving him hungry
Further, giving him electrolyte i think it would help to maintain fluid requirement as he is not even drinking water.

Yes, i am looking for more on supportive care so i can save him.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope he will be okay. Do you have access to any online vets where you are?

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
In this context, "supportive care" means keeping him fed and hydrated and hopefully allowing his body to heal itself. It's not treating the actual cause of his illness, and sadly he might be too sick or weak to fight it.

Is there any way you can consult an avian vet online? I can see that you're giving a general antibiotic, but that will only work against some kinds of bacteria. It won't be effective against viral or yeast infections. It also won't help if there's something else wrong with your bird, like kidney disease or vitamin deficiency. Unfortunately without testing, you don't know what is making Einstein sick. Without knowing what you're dealing with, you can't treat the problem.

Many Celerac products contain milk so might upset a bird's digestion. It's better than nothing but not good long-term. Please see whether you can order any formula designed for baby parrots - are there any online shops you can try?

Atifkamal

Real Name
Atif Kamal
I hope he will be okay. Do you have access to any online vets where you are?
I am in Karachi, Pakistan. We have vets here but avian are a few atleast i couldn't found in my contacts. Anyway got connected with an avian today morning he suggested brufen and septranDS Syrup as symptomatic treatment as according to him there is no medicine for the virus he is infected i.e Mutated Paramyxovirus infection.

Atifkamal

Real Name
Atif Kamal
In this context, "supportive care" means keeping him fed and hydrated and hopefully allowing his body to heal itself. It's not treating the actual cause of his illness, and sadly he might be too sick or weak to fight it.

Is there any way you can consult an avian vet online? I can see that you're giving a general antibiotic, but that will only work against some kinds of bacteria. It won't be effective against viral or yeast infections. It also won't help if there's something else wrong with your bird, like kidney disease or vitamin deficiency. Unfortunately without testing, you don't know what is making Einstein sick. Without knowing what you're dealing with, you can't treat the problem.

Many Celerac products contain milk so might upset a bird's digestion. It's better than nothing but not good long-term. Please see whether you can order any formula designed for baby parrots - are there any online shops you can try?
You are right but i am helpless right now. I am going to order this (attached) is it ok?

Attachments

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, Kaytee Exact has been used to raise many parrot chicks. It's a much better choice than baby cereal.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Is this a female? If so any chance she has an egg?
How old is she?

Atifkamal

Real Name
Atif Kamal
Is this a female? If so any chance she has an egg?
How old is she?
Actually dont know, he/she is single bird i have since 14 years, i adapted her when she was 4 or 6 months old, never in touch with other bird. Here in my country you can purchase birds from open market without any tag or DNA thing mostly are imported wild caught babies or from local breeding setups

I have heard some females lay egg without male bird although those eggs are not fertile... God knows..

Last edited:

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So sorry your lil one is sick ...Is she perching ok ...I would make a hospital cage for her and get her on some heat with a heating pad underneath the cage ...Hopefully you can get the formula soon and start feeding her with that ..until you do you can feed warn sweet potato's and warm veggie baby food ..make sure she is getting enough water I would give it to her via syringe or spoon every hour or so ... How is she doing this after noon :hug8:

Atifkamal

Real Name
Atif Kamal
So sorry your lil one is sick ...Is she perching ok ...I would make a hospital cage for her and get her on some heat with a heating pad underneath the cage ...Hopefully you can get the formula soon and start feeding her with that ..until you do you can feed warn sweet potato's and warm veggie baby food ..make sure she is getting enough water I would give it to her via syringe or spoon every hour or so ... How is she doing this after noon :hug8:
Perching... Yeah but in the morning having trouble maintaining balance may be due to weakness and illness, in afternoon i gave her cerelac and electrolyte, right now she seems better than she was in the morning. Just gave him medicine as prescribed and 10cc cerelac and 10cc electrolyte.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Actually dont know, he/she is single bird i have since 14 years, i adapted her when she was 4 or 6 months old, never in touch with other bird. Here in my country you can purchase birds from open market without any tag or DNA thing mostly are imported wild caught babies or from local breeding setups

I have heard some females lay egg without male bird although those eggs are not fertile... God knows..
Yes a female can lay eggs without a male.
Its something to consider along with illnesses. But you would probably see straining and swollen messy cloaca with a stuck egg...tho not always if the issue is higher up.

Low calcium is always something to think about in greys. And the odd red feathers can indicate fatty liver .

Some good foods to try are warm mashed sweet potatoes . You could also soak some healthy pellets and grind up add to the sweet potatoes and serve until yiu get the baby burd formula. A little scrambled egg might go over well.

Has the burd been exposed to other burds recently? Or any tainted food or water?

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m traveling cross country at the moment so unfortunately I don’t have a lot of time. Obviously ver care would be best. Even on online vet you can video chat with would be good. If you can get him to eat that’s good. Making the food as way to consume would help a lot. If the bird is currently eating pellets then cursing them and mixing with water to almost make it into a baby formula would work. It’s nutrition and hydration together. We often do this with birds that board with us but won’t eat while they are there. Grinding pellets and making it into a mush seems to be something they will eat while they won’t eat their regular diet. At some point anything is better than starving. I one resorted to cooked orzo pasta mixed with powdered baby formula. It was a mess but the bird ate it and it saved her life. Hopefully the advice everyone has offered will help.