• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caesar Milan/Marlene Mc'Cohen

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Having watched each of them separately on YouTube and TV, I wouldn't waste another breath on either. Personally one's an idiot and the other is just plain flat out stupid. She was the one who "released" a tame Amazon to "be free in the wild as it should be". The poor bird actually tried to return to her after it was released. I hope I never meet the stupid twit in person.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
@SandraK The poor Amazon!! That detail of it trying to get back to her is so heartbreaking to me :darkcloud:

I did just watch the video of Ceasar and Marlene, I think there's some hints of obvious truths to what they were saying to some degree. But mostly it just sounded like psychobabble to me. What dislike about them most is they don't have any science to back up what they're saying. Psychobabble seems like the perfect word to describe their "advice".

Also the non harness birds is such a bad message to sent out. Especially the cockatiel! :(

Marcy33

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marcy
It’s just not good to put birds being around dogs. It stresses them out because the dog will always be bigger and accidents can happen so quickly. I think this video gives a wrong message to bird owners that they can trust their dogs around the birds

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I went and watched that video, I want knock heads together all 3 of them. I can't stand her to start with, a D rated movie 'star' that acts like she is god gift to parrots. WELL SHE AIN'T!!!!!
Caesar wouldn't get 10 feet into our farm without being take down by Bandit the yard dog. Bandit would be on him no matter how he 'calm' he was.
George is just Marlene whipped to the point of ridiculousness.
NOPE DIDN'T LIKE IT AT ALL....

PufF

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sam Chan
Oh man this sounds so wrong.Aftwer checking them out,you all are right.Her YouTube channel description is what disturbs me the most.
"Welcome to my channel! This is my life with parrots and other animals! I hope to teach bird owners how to care for parrots, tame parrots and most of all... give their parrots a cage-free life! I make new Parrot Talk videos every Tuesday and upload a "Parrot Video of the Day" featuring my birds, daily. also tune in to my behind the scenes, when I make films, music videos and Vlogs which I hope you will enjoy as well. My pets love it when you visit:) Thank you so much for watching, it means the world to me to know that every subscriber is a new person who cares about and wants to learn everything they can for their bird! I love it!! "
Oh...what could be worse?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Oh...what could be worse?
I detect sarcasm.
Watching their content is more accurate than reading their description that they wrote. I could update my youtube channel description to say anthing, doesn´t make it true.

Elle&birds

Moving in
Hi. I’ve been a lurker on these forums for years now, and have always loved to hear other peoples’ opinions. I’ve been a member of other parrot forums as well. I made this account today to comment here. The one thing I’ve noticed is that these forums tend to be very judgmental, which is why I left parrotforums a couple years ago.

I’d like to clear up some myths said about Marlene and YouTubers in general. I cannot speak for Cesar because I’m not a dog owner nor do I watch his videos. However Marlene did appear to not understand Cesar when he was talking to her. I’m a parrot YouTuber like Marlene (however my channel is smaller. It’s Live Laugh Birds if anyone wants to see it) and I’ve not only met Marlene and seen her bird care, but I’ve adopted a bird from her. I don’t know if anyone here actually watches her but I adopted the budgie she was taking care of.

Now I realize that on the internet everyone will face criticism, but I had no idea members of this forum hated YouTubers so much. 1) what’s even wrong with that channel description? 2) do you watch Marlene’s videos consistently? 3) do you know how Marlene takes care of her birds? 4) and lastly, do you know how much effort gets put into making quality videos for people to watch on YouTube?

Like I said I’ve met Marlene in person AND have watched her since she started her channel 4 years ago.

Marlene would never take her birds outside without harnesses or cages. Her mustache parakeet Picasso who flew away was in a cage outdoors, and the cage wasn’t properly locked. Accidents happen. Did you even watch the videos?
Jersey the umbrella cockatoo came to her as a severe plucker as a rescue. She cannot fly at all because she has no flight feathers, so in that case there is no point of using a harness. Unlike with clipped birds who can still fly and should never be taken outdoors without a harness, Jersey has not a single flight feather.

Marlene DOES NOT advocate for birds to be free in the house “cage free” as in no cage at all. Of course she keeps her birds in cages when she leaves the house and at night. She advocates for letting birds be “Engaged Not Caged” as much as possible and to keep parrots mentally stimulated.

Yes Marlene is an actress but what is wrong with that?? Can’t you love parrots and be an actress at the same time? She also never claimed to be a professional trainer, unlike BirdTricks or Parrot Wizard.

Her parrot food is a blend of Tops pellets and healthier seeds and grains. What’s wrong with that? Marlene is an advocate of variety, which means that of course she doesn’t want her food to be the only thing birds eat. Her own birds eat lots of vegetables every day.

Marlene is in no way a hoarder. All of her parrots are rescues except for one. She rehomed her budgie to me because she knew she’d be happier in a flock with smaller birds. She individually loves every one of her birds so much.

So yeah, sorry I had to come in but this thread really bothered me. Feel free to share opinions respectfully. Have a great day with your birds :)

Last edited:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
As a large bird owner, I search Youtube often looking for thoughtful content made by someone with large birds. I've had birds for decades so I'm looking for info beyond beginner. I have yet to find it. I have found several reptile channels/youtubers I enjoy, even though I don't own reptiles. Marlene's channel is clickbait and entertainment, not quality psittacine info.

I had no idea members of this forum hated YouTubers so much.
This is a generalization. We can be reactive here, as you say, because most of us genuinely love parrots and are protective of them. When we perceive an impropriety towards parrots, we don't let it go.

Her parrot food is a blend of Tops pellets and healthier seeds and grains. What’s wrong with that?
Nothing at all. She's making a buck off her notoriety. I would, too, if TOPs asked me. I wouldn't have put that many grains in a diet designed for most pet parrots, which are sedentary compared to their wild cousins, but that's just me.

Marlene is in no way a hoarder. All of her parrots are rescues except for one.
Hoarding has nothing to do with rescue. It's having too many animals, more than you can care for. You could rescue a bird and be a hoarder. I'm not saying she is; I don't even know how many birds she has.

I have 2 problems with her. One, she "freed" an Amazon that was CLEARLY not feral. I notice you didn't address that point. Second, if you peruse the products she recommends as an Amazon influencer, they're not all great products for parrots. Other than those, I have no problem with her.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I really can’t help but wonder if people would even bother to watch Marlene at all if it wasn’t for the footage of her beautiful birds.
She may be a nice person for all I know but I don’t really care about that because she’s not on you tube to get viewers because she’s nice..... she’s there for viewers to watch her educating or sharing information on bird stuff- so I expect that bird stuff to be safe, correct, educational and in the best interest of the bird and other birds owned by people who will be influenced by her content. This is where I feel she fails the most because she’s more interested in how she’s coming across or how cool people think she is or how many extra views she’s getting.

Hmmmm, I also seem to remember watching a video of hers encouraging people to keep their birds away from going to vets, a video illegally (I believe) releasing an obviously not wild bird still with an unchecked head injury...... definitely not the sort of person I want to learn about birds from.

To top it off she’s annoyingly irritating and kinda ditzy so I’d rather watch paint dry. Just my feelings on the topic.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
I think I should actually dig in into her channel videos as descriptions might not be the whole thing. Here is what I found.
This.It was two years back and talks about cookies. I don't know which type as I don't think it. was addressed in the video. I did just flip through the video so I could have missed it.

This video is somewhat newer. And I couldn't watch past the 7 minute mark. At the 6 20/30 min mark so was talking about how clipping is good... and how when they are clipped they can't fly,which is totally wrong.
Then at the start she was trying to feed an intimidated IRN and also trying to get it to bite her. Good advice? Certainly not.
And here is a comment I found in the dog video,the one which started all this.
Also this video
Neither did I finish this one. Still stopped by the 7 min mark.
So first she talks about how her birds are quiet. I doubt so if you watched another video. Then she talks about how petting in some areas can make the parrot hormonal without saying where. She did say that she will get back to it but three months since the video was posted and she got nowhere.
Then she was talking about how males and females exhibit different hating behaviours. I am not sure about that one so I will give the benefit of the doubt as I never had any of my one parrots be hormonal except for Amoy.
But then she was talking about how she knows that-as she had ALL her parrots demonstrate mating behaviour to her. Now she definitely did something wrong. One of two could be the absolute max but all? That is a bit crazy.
And keep in mind that I just randomly chose videos. She definitely does know some information regarding parrots but she really isn't the best.

Attachments

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Hi. I’ve been a lurker on these forums for years now, and have always loved to hear other peoples’ opinions. I’ve been a member of other parrot forums as well. I made this account today to comment here. The one thing I’ve noticed is that these forums tend to be very judgmental, which is why I left parrotforums a couple years ago.

I’d like to clear up some myths said about Marlene and YouTubers in general. I cannot speak for Cesar because I’m not a dog owner nor do I watch his videos. However Marlene did appear to not understand Cesar when he was talking to her. I’m a parrot YouTuber like Marlene (however my channel is smaller. It’s Live Laugh Birds if anyone wants to see it) and I’ve not only met Marlene and seen her bird care, but I’ve adopted a bird from her. I don’t know if anyone here actually watches her but I adopted the budgie she was taking care of.

Now I realize that on the internet everyone will face criticism, but I had no idea members of this forum hated YouTubers so much. 1) what’s even wrong with that channel description? 2) do you watch Marlene’s videos consistently? 3) do you know how Marlene takes care of her birds? 4) and lastly, do you know how much effort gets put into making quality videos for people to watch on YouTube?

Like I said I’ve met Marlene in person AND have watched her since she started her channel 4 years ago.

Marlene would never take her birds outside without harnesses or cages. Her mustache parakeet Picasso who flew away was in a cage outdoors, and the cage wasn’t properly locked. Accidents happen. Did you even watch the videos?
Jersey the umbrella cockatoo came to her as a severe plucker as a rescue. She cannot fly at all because she has no flight feathers, so in that case there is no point of using a harness. Unlike with clipped birds who can still fly and should never be taken outdoors without a harness, Jersey has not a single flight feather.

Marlene DOES NOT advocate for birds to be free in the house “cage free” as in no cage at all. Of course she keeps her birds in cages when she leaves the house and at night. She advocates for letting birds be “Engaged Not Caged” as much as possible and to keep parrots mentally stimulated.

Yes Marlene is an actress but what is wrong with that?? Can’t you love parrots and be an actress at the same time? She also never claimed to be a professional trainer, unlike BirdTricks or Parrot Wizard.

Her parrot food is a blend of Tops pellets and healthier seeds and grains. What’s wrong with that? Marlene is an advocate of variety, which means that of course she doesn’t want her food to be the only thing birds eat. Her own birds eat lots of vegetables every day.

Marlene is in no way a hoarder. All of her parrots are rescues except for one. She rehomed her budgie to me because she knew she’d be happier in a flock with smaller birds. She individually loves every one of her birds so much.

So yeah, sorry I had to come in but this thread really bothered me. Feel free to share opinions respectfully. Have a great day with your birds :)
You may think she walks on water but after having tried to watch some of her videos, I got stuck on the infamous "release" of the obviously tame and lost Amazon. Wild birds do not usually try to return to the person who held them captive and then released them. I also seem to recall another video or vlog in which she did not advocate taking an ill bird to the vet. I wouldn't say I hate her but I'd take much of her so-called advice with a large grain of salt. I don't like her - to me she comes across as a used car salesman - there's a whole lot of sales pitch to get you to stay and watch

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Throwing it in here, but there's a UK dog trainer called Victoria Stilwell and I find her stuff interesting. Here are a couple of things she's written:

Her site has a lot of information on it and is a thoughtful, humane contrast to Caesar Milan's macho nonsense.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
There are some controversies with her, too. I'm not sure what to believe about her. I did enjoy her show when it was on AP.

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Throwing it in here, but there's a UK dog trainer called Victoria Stilwell and I find her stuff interesting. Here are a couple of things she's written:

Her site has a lot of information on it and is a thoughtful, humane contrast to Caesar Milan's macho nonsense.
I've learned a lot from following Victoria Stilwell. Another dog trainer who I think is very good, from what I've seen, is Robert Cabral. I've found him easiest to relate to and learn from, when it comes to dog training and he uses a good mix of positive and "negative" reinforcement. He has a youtube channel with some really informative videos.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
This was the only video I found on a quick search. But I seem to remember a different video with the lady in the green shirt releasing an amazon as you all have mentioned. I don't follow any youtubers. Rarely look at youtube. I'll try not to be critical of her annoying voice. :embarassed:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Re: Victoria Stilwell. Yes, she has advocated for dominance/alpha in the past, and has used incorrect training methods... but unlike Milan, she has continued learning, has changed some of her training approaches, and strives to do better. It is annoying when the editor/voice over STILL talks about dominance when she's not using those training methods... but she at least seems to get it! This is at least from what little I have noticed.

This video is somewhat newer. And I couldn't watch past the 7 minute mark.

OMG! You're a brave one! I couldn't get 2 minutes into her taming ringneck video! "The bird WILL step up, even if it doesn't like you" or "Ringnecks go through a bluffing stage." Yeah... NOPE!!!!!!:rofl:

@Elle&birds Welcome to AA! I have no doubt Marlene loves her birds, and she does care for them... but to me, it's clear she still lacks a lot of knowledge! I would honestly recommend for her to take classes by Lara Joseph, Barbara Heidenreich and Susan Friedman. It would be AMAZING to see her expand her knowledge on bird care in regards with working with birds, earning their trust, communicating with them. If she can expand her knowledge in that regard, and share that in her videos, then her videos would be much more educational.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
This was the only video I found on a quick search. But I seem to remember a different video with the lady in the green shirt releasing an amazon as you all have mentioned. I don't follow any youtubers. Rarely look at youtube. I'll try not to be critical of her annoying voice. :embarassed:

The lady in green shirt is Caroline von Penholtz (or something like that). She free flys her macaws with, nothing more then GPS tracking device on a harness. And when they finally come down from flight she yells at people for getting near them. Full on temper tantrum at times. Honest truth here, I have been ban from her channel which is perfectly FINE with me. Caroline's rant on Tyler Nolan ticked me off to know end. I don't always agree with some of the things that he does, but he loves Turuk to death and takes very good care of her. Caroline went on rant about his bird the way he cares her. Alot of it was BS and I basically asked her advise was asked for by Tyler himself. I told her if it was not asked for that she should mind her own business. I told her I would take the ban just so I wouldn't have to watch her and her stupidity. Yup I blocked her too.
@Elle&birds you have your opinion and that's fine. But I have my own, I have seen her do stupid, foolish, asinine things with her birds. Yes she may love them greatly but her lack of knowledge is pathetic.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Caroline is way worse than Marlene. She drives me crazy. She has videos up that tell people not to take their birds to the vet because vets kill them. She also makes a lot of "clickbait" about people stealing her macaw.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
The lady in green shirt is Caroline von Penholtz (or something like that). She free flys her macaws with, nothing more then GPS tracking device on a harness. And when they finally come down from flight she yells at people for getting near them. Full on temper tantrum at times. Honest truth here, I have been ban from her channel which is perfectly FINE with me. Caroline's rant on Tyler Nolan ticked me off to know end. I don't always agree with some of the things that he does, but he loves Turuk to death and takes very good care of her. Caroline went on rant about his bird the way he cares her. Alot of it was BS and I basically asked her advise was asked for by Tyler himself. I told her if it was not asked for that she should mind her own business. I told her I would take the ban just so I wouldn't have to watch her and her stupidity. Yup I blocked her too.
@Elle&birds you have your opinion and that's fine. But I have my own, I have seen her do stupid, foolish, asinine things with her birds. Yes she may love them greatly but her lack of knowledge is pathetic.
She has since Tyler Nolan rant deleted that video because she caught nothing but flak doing it. Tyler did everything that we always recommend, get the bird to a goid avian veterinarian, culture the bacteria, sensitivity testing to find best antibiotics to help Turuk get well again.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Caroline is way worse than Marlene. She drives me crazy. She has videos up that tell people not to take their birds to the vet because vets kill them. She also makes a lot of "clickbait" about people stealing her macaw.
I can´t stand her. Only watched 2 or 3 vids but yikes! She´s in way over her head with her own birds, endangering them constantly and gives out the crappest advice ever to her viewers.
It goes against Marlene that she is associated with Carolin. I´ve seen them together on Marlenes channel, and to me it says she condones what carolin is doing.