• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

CA vet experience please help

Guava123

Walking the driveway
I've done research into finding the best bird vet in South CA, can someone tell me their experiences with this vet-prices, annual exam, etc? Just how good they were.

-Todd Cecil, has experience in surgery I believe, is not certified

-Micco, is a member of AAV I think

-Rosskoph, was apparently certified, is very close and has probable years of experience

-Nemetz-from what I hear, expensive, I think too expensive for my budget, but seems to be knowledgeable on what an annual exam should look like

-Berens

-Molnar, he was the only one apparently currently certified from 2012 at least, because all the others got their degrees and stuff in the 1990s, he looks like the best option

-Lavac has 30 years of experience

-Loudis

-UC Davis' companion exotic animal medicine

I reached out to Molnar, as I picked him, and I can afford the physical exam, which is 150 dollars, but the fecal tests cost 75 and the bloodwork costs 200-400 dollars depending on what is being run. I think choosing a second vet to go to for those might be cheaper? It's apparently common for people to get a CBC count and fecal smear, so I thought it'd be a little more affordable.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Well, you were talking UC Davis - probably nearly the same distance.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
If you don't have much luck in this thread, you could contact some local-to-you bird groups, breeders, or quality pet stores to find out who they use.

For what it's worth, those prices aren't out of line (plus, my experience with vet charges is they aren't materially different within a given locale, so I'd recommend finding a vet with the expertise you need and can form an ongoing relationship with).

Reactions: tka