• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Buying Ringneck

Marie Hugh

Moving in
Real Name
Marie
I am still in highschool, swim year round, and I lifeguard part time. I have a cockatiel and we have a very strong bond, she is out of her cage every chance I have. I take her regularly for walks in her harness. Her cage is very big, and full of toys. I’ve been debating getting a ringneck but I am truly on the fence. I would be getting one for my birthday but I don’t know If I have the time. It would be out if it’s cage for about an hour before school in the morning and out from about 4 or 6-11 every night. Possibly much earlier depending on my shifts and practice. I would definitely spend most of the weekend with it. During the summer I would also have a lot of time. However, I don’t know if this IS enough time. Every website says contradicting things. I also don’t know how my cockatiel will react. She is very friendly and not afraid of people or my other pets. I have a cat and 3 dogs, however they are not allowed upstairs where her cage would be located. Please someone fill me in on a realistic answer to whether or not I should seriously consider this. Thank you.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Marie 1.welcome signs.gif

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Things may be different with another bird than it is with your dogs for your tiel, but, if you do get another bird (especially a different species and beak size) and the birds do not get along, will you have double the time available that you give your tiel so that both birds get treated equally in regards to care and interaction times? How will you manage to replicate the same level of care and time for both if they do not get along and you need them separate at all times? I am not sure a different species will be the way to go at this stage- I am basing this on worst case scenario. If you can cope with and work around a worst case scenario without negatively affecting the responsibilities you have now and the amount of time you will need in the near future then no worries. Just things to think about as so many people do not think through how they will manage two different species if their current bird and new bird need to be always kept separate.