• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Buying Birds Online

Dmcveigh

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Douglas McVeigh
Ive been in the market for an African Grey and have had to take my search online to out of state breeders because I cannot find any Greys in state. Along the way I've come across a few scam sites and have now found a breeder named Jessica Hurley who owns an Aviary called Lone Palm Birds. After exchanging emails she told me that she has one African Congo Grey available that is four-months old and she is asking $3500. She encouraged me to give her a call and we chatted for about two-hours. She seemed to be legitimate, friendly, and knowledgable. I could even hear birds chirping in the background during the phone call. She also sent me a video of the bird I was considering buying and I could hear the same voice in the video as I was talking to on the phone. Once we finally got around to discussing payment she said that she uses Zelle and no longer uses PayPal because of a negative experience she had where she was burned by someone and PayPal sided with the other person. I was wondering what people who have purchased animals online think about payment methods like Zelle. Is it a pretty standard method or a bad sign? Also if anyone has ever done business with Jessica I would also like to know your experience. Someone on my last thread mentioned that she had purchased a bird from Jessica and could confirm that she is legit but had a bit of a negative experience because the bird she bought was sick and she was lied to about the birds age. I hope this was just an isolated incident but I figured I would see if anyone else has dealt with her and had similar experiences. This is her website Exotic Birds, Macaws, Parrots, Cockatoos, Conures, Amazons

Thank you,
Douglas McVeigh

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have no idea but I can not access the link you provided for some reason.

@Mizzely ?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I can access, it. I don't know anything about Jessica. As I stated in your other thread, Zelle offers you no buyer protection and I personally would never use it with an unknown person. You might as well send a wad of cash in the mail.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The link is different now after you altered it and it is working.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
No way. Where do you live? Maybe you can find a rescue close. Or one a drive away. I would never pay $3500 for an AG. No way!
You be better driving somewhere, staying at a hotel and meeting the people and how they live etc.

Dmcveigh

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Douglas McVeigh
No way. Where do you live? Maybe you can find a rescue close. Or one a drive away. I would never pay $3500 for an AG. No way!
You be better driving somewhere, staying at a hotel and meeting the people and how they live etc.
Is $3500 to much in your opinion? On my last post everyone seemed to agree that they go for about 3k minimum. I haven't seen them anywhere any cheaper than that with the exception of the site that I confirmed was a huge scam.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
This is why people adopt from rescues...... the birds there desperately need a good home and are generally not sitting with a huge price tag on them.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Knowing what I know about Zelle, I won't trust it. Ask her if she'll do Google Wallet. That's the payment option we opted for since I didn't have PayPal at the time. Good luck.

Reactions: tka

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Do not trust any breeder who wants to use ZELLE we were scammed out of 800 because of that a couple years ago.

I recommend JC Aviary, they were amazing with Basil they take their birds everywhere and do everything with them. They breed Greys too.

Dmcveigh

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Douglas McVeigh
Do not trust any breeder who wants to use ZELLE we were scammed out of 800 because of that a couple years ago.

I recommend JC Aviary, they were amazing with Basil they take their birds everywhere and do everything with them. They breed Greys too.
Just looked into JC Aviary and gave them a call. They had a litter of four Greys and one was available so I put down a deposit and it will be available late June or early July. They also had no problem using PayPal and it was in-fact their preferred method. Thanks for the suggestion!

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Just looked into JC Aviary and gave them a call. They had a litter of four Greys and one was available so I put down a deposit and it will be available late June or early July. They also had no problem using PayPal and it was in-fact their preferred method. Thanks for the suggestion!
I'm so happy for you!!! They're AMAZING I'll never go anywhere else if I ever want another baby.
Keep us updated!! (Especially with pics!)

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Glad you found someone who seems more on the Up and Up!

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
FYI, I am in Vancouver, we had a rescue of over 580 birds, two years ago. There are still many rescue greys needing homes, likely about 15 greys right now, here in the city. I think the adoption fees are $500 or so?

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
At least in my area, CAGs are hard to comr by in rescues because they are in such high demand. $3000 or so seems to be the going rate these days for a baby CAG.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Lone Palm Birds is a legit broker. They don't necessarily breed all the birds they sell, but they're upfront about that. They tend to specialize in rarer birds.

LisaHartzR

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lisa Hartz

I took your recommendation and put a deposit down on an African Grey yesterday. JC was very cool to work with! Im excited And yes he works through paypal and requires phone calls and no text requests

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats.
OH! They have Ruppell's. :)