• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Buying a shy dusky?

JapanBirdLover

Strolling the yard
Does your wife like him now? My hubby has tried and tried to be friends with Ernie. But since ERnie is bonded with me he sees hubby as competition. Plus - he bluffs. Hubby totally buys into the bluff and thinks Ernie is going to bite off a few fingers.
Well my wife is an animal lover in general so she loves all pets unconditionally. Her concern is about the money I paid for him and also what I spend on cages, food, toys etc.
She is also nervous of the beak. She can barely touch my GCC so a pionus is right out. But she does sneak into the bird room when she thinks I don’t notice, and feed treats to all the darlings, including Spooky.

JapanBirdLover

Strolling the yard
That is the sweetness of a female Pi. ♥
I hate to use the word easy when it comes to parrot's, but that is the only way I can describe it.
Akela that I had since she was a baby is the same as Angel. :)
Spooky is sweet to my eyes, too, even if he is still scared of me. i just want the little baby to trust me a little more. I’m fine if that takes a few months, I have no real reason to rush.
Having said that it is just my personality to try to make a plan for this. I’m thinking the steps could be
1 Is able to accept treats from my hand
2 Can keep calm even if I’m sitting close by the cage
3 Will come forward to get a treat from my hand
4 Will come out of the cage to explore around the room
5 Will put one foot on my hand to reach a treat
6 Will step-up onto my hand

What do you think of these steps? As I said I’m fine if this takes months, I just like to have a plan to work to.

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
I’m loving the updates on Spooky :swoon:
Sounds like your wife is coming around too, which is great news!

@JapanBirdLover

I have a shy Pionus. I can't find the post on AA, maybe it didn't move over when the site upgraded. Here it is on my website (for non bird people. So, a little watered down)

I’ve never seen this either, but I LOVE it! Ernie really did pick you, and I am very happy he started the parrot love at the finchly household!:joyful:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I’ve never seen this either, but I LOVE it! Ernie really did pick you, and I am very happy he started the parrot love at the finchly household!:joyful:
:heart: Thank you! He is my love.

@JapanBirdLover Here's what I think of your list.

Throw it out the window.

I am not being mean -- I get trying to be methodical, I really do. That's not how it works for parrots.

I say that because, we cannot outline for our birds what they're going to do or when they will do it. We can give them the tools -- and they choose whether to use them or not. Ernie doesn't ever do anything he doesn't want to. If I ask him to step up, he postures and pretends to attack me (that means no). My other pi doesn't step up. She flies to me when SHE wants to. My blue parrotlet boy is afraid of hands, he will never step up I guess but he hangs off my shirt, sits on my head, and finally (after 3 years of work) will take food from my fingers.

If you focus on what the bird wants and not your outline, things fall into place naturally. For now, walk to the place where the bird begins to show fear/nervousness. Then take a step back. Sit or stand or work there. Next time, do the same.

In between, walk by, nonchalantly drop a treat in his dish, and keep walking.

Be sure you aren't staring at him. When you read to him, just read and look at some other spot. Let *him* look at you. Let him learn your body language and mannerisms. And that you are the Giver of Yummy Treats. In the meantime, you will learn more about him and his body language and his acceptance level. And his personality.

You're going to have a GREAT relationship. Don't rush it.

@JLcribber can say it better.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
:heart: Thank you! He is my love.

@JapanBirdLover Here's what I think of your list.

Throw it out the window.

I am not being mean -- I get trying to be methodical, I really do. That's not how it works for parrots.

I say that because, we cannot outline for our birds what they're going to do or when they will do it. We can give them the tools -- and they choose whether to use them or not. Ernie doesn't ever do anything he doesn't want to. If I ask him to step up, he postures and pretends to attack me (that means no). My other pi doesn't step up. She flies to me when SHE wants to. My blue parrotlet boy is afraid of hands, he will never step up I guess but he hangs off my shirt, sits on my head, and finally (after 3 years of work) will take food from my fingers.

If you focus on what the bird wants and not your outline, things fall into place naturally. For now, walk to the place where the bird begins to show fear/nervousness. Then take a step back. Sit or stand or work there. Next time, do the same.

In between, walk by, nonchalantly drop a treat in his dish, and keep walking.

Be sure you aren't staring at him. When you read to him, just read and look at some other spot. Let *him* look at you. Let him learn your body language and mannerisms. And that you are the Giver of Yummy Treats. In the meantime, you will learn more about him and his body language and his acceptance level. And his personality.

You're going to have a GREAT relationship. Don't rush it.

@JLcribber can say it better.
You said it pretty darn well my dear.

We've got to "earn" that relationship and trust with our birds. There is no shortcut. We don't try and "bend" the bird because ultimately that will fail. We observe. We learn ( to understand body language and behaviour) and take our cues as to what/how to proceed from what our birds are presenting to us. It's all about working with what you're given.