• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Buying a flight cage for Zazu.

cupoftea

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anna
So finally after months of searching.... I FOUND A JOB! I've literally been looking since last September so I'm super stoked.

Anywho, the first thing on my list to purchase (which isn't really a long list, just some new clothes for work and saving the rest for college mostly) is a flight cage for Zazu. I know he will love all the extra room to party and I can't wait for him to make the big move!!

I'm looking at these two, and wondering if anyone would prefer one over the other and why. I've never owned a flight cage before so I don't know what are some things I should look for and what to avoid when purchasing one. If anyone has any first hand experience with either of these cages, then that would be awesome if you could describe your experience.

This first one I want... well, because it's pretty freaking cheap for a flight cage in Canada and it sounds huge. Only thing is that some of the reviews say it's not the greatest quality and that it's flimsy. Zazu doesn't chew on his cage (yet) so that okay I think, but if in the future I were to use it with a bird who is more of a cage chewer (I had a budgie who was) then I don't know if the cage could stand it. But many of the reviewers say it's fine for their finches, budgies, lovies and cockatiels, which makes me feel better about it.
Prevue Pet Products Wrought Iron Flight Cage with Stand Bird Cage, 31-Inch by 20-1/2-Inch by 53-Inch, Black: Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies

Then there's the second one. It's a bit more expensive but also a bit smaller... there are also no reviews so I have no idea what other people's experiences are. But I do like how there is a big door for easy access in this one, I don't think there is a big one like that on the other cage. I also like how it's higher up, 63 inches total rather then 53 inches tall in the other, so I think it would make a bird feel more secure. While my labrador, Max, isn't interested at all in birds, I know that I will be getting another dog in 1-2 years so I think a higher up cage versus one that's low to the ground would be a good plus.
63" Metal Bird Cage Wire Parrot Decorative House w/ Tray Removable: Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies

I would greatly appreciate your guys's expert thoughts! You are all so much more knowledgeable then me. I've never owned a flight cage before and I'm so excited to get one for Zazu!! :laughing12:

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
How about the flight cage offered at WC Tropical Bird Studio? I personally don't like the "guillotine" style doors in the case of it falling shut on the bird... I have a flight cage and I like it a lot. It's not perfect, but it's a bang for your buck.

CrazyBirdLady

Hit the Road
Real Name
Jaime
I have many of the prevue hendryx cages and am very happy with them. My tiels and p'let are in them. Some people find them difficult to assemble but I don't. Of course I have a lot of practice. :D

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
I have many of the prevue hendryx cages and am very happy with them. My tiels and p'let are in them. Some people find them difficult to assemble but I don't. Of course I have a lot of practice. :D
That is awesome, thank you!!

Naiera

Real Name
Alyssa
We have two AE flights and one HQ flight, I kind of prefer the HQ because of the two doors. But both have held up well and look nice when they are filled with fun stuff! My qualm with the prevue cage is how low to the ground it seems to be, I don't know if you have any other pets wandering around where that might be an issue?

Whatever you decide glad you are getting an upgrade for Zazu, can't wait to see it! And congrats on the new job :highfive:

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
We have two AE flights and one HQ flight, I kind of prefer the HQ because of the two doors. But both have held up well and look nice when they are filled with fun stuff! My qualm with the prevue cage is how low to the ground it seems to be, I don't know if you have any other pets wandering around where that might be an issue?

Whatever you decide glad you are getting an upgrade for Zazu, can't wait to see it! And congrats on the new job :highfive:
I have Max the chocolate lab but he's frightened of Zazu so he wouldn't be of any harm. Zazu bosses him around, poor guy.

LunaLove

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I am looking at those two cages for Luna. What cage did you end up getting?

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
So finally after months of searching.... I FOUND A JOB! I've literally been looking since last September so I'm super stoked.

Anywho, the first thing on my list to purchase (which isn't really a long list, just some new clothes for work and saving the rest for college mostly) is a flight cage for Zazu. I know he will love all the extra room to party and I can't wait for him to make the big move!!

I'm looking at these two, and wondering if anyone would prefer one over the other and why. I've never owned a flight cage before so I don't know what are some things I should look for and what to avoid when purchasing one. If anyone has any first hand experience with either of these cages, then that would be awesome if you could describe your experience.

This first one I want... well, because it's pretty freaking cheap for a flight cage in Canada and it sounds huge. Only thing is that some of the reviews say it's not the greatest quality and that it's flimsy. Zazu doesn't chew on his cage (yet) so that okay I think, but if in the future I were to use it with a bird who is more of a cage chewer (I had a budgie who was) then I don't know if the cage could stand it. But many of the reviewers say it's fine for their finches, budgies, lovies and cockatiels, which makes me feel better about it.
Prevue Pet Products Wrought Iron Flight Cage with Stand Bird Cage, 31-Inch by 20-1/2-Inch by 53-Inch, Black: Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies

Then there's the second one. It's a bit more expensive but also a bit smaller... there are also no reviews so I have no idea what other people's experiences are. But I do like how there is a big door for easy access in this one, I don't think there is a big one like that on the other cage. I also like how it's higher up, 63 inches total rather then 53 inches tall in the other, so I think it would make a bird feel more secure. While my labrador, Max, isn't interested at all in birds, I know that I will be getting another dog in 1-2 years so I think a higher up cage versus one that's low to the ground would be a good plus.
63" Metal Bird Cage Wire Parrot Decorative House w/ Tray Removable: Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies

I would greatly appreciate your guys's expert thoughts! You are all so much more knowledgeable then me. I've never owned a flight cage before and I'm so excited to get one for Zazu!! :laughing12:
Congrats!!!
I have the Prevue one, and it's very flimsy. However, it's a great size and awesome price!!

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
LOL Just realized this thread is very old. Whoops!