• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Button Quail Nest

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Love the barrier idea! It´s perfect :)

I spy Geo! I hope he´s being a good dad! Do the males bring food and treats for the sitting hens?

There´s something quite remarkable and special about a bird brooding and hatching eggs :heart2:

When is the estimated hatch date?
I haven't noticed him feeding Terra, but he does spend a lot of time near the nest. Some sources say that the male button quail will also sit on the eggs, but I haven't noticed that with my quail.

I found the nest on January 24th and most sources say 16 day incubation period, so I would expect them to hatch early next week - Sunday or Monday. However, I have also read 21 day hatching period in a few places. I think it is wrong, but if it is accurate, that would push things out to week after next, maybe the 14th or 15th.

I don't know when exactly she started incubating the eggs, but I think I spotted her relatively early on. Whenever possible, I visit the aviary and do a headcount to make sure everyone is present and accounted for. I don't think I could have missed her for more than a day or do.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Unfortunatly, my day started with one dead quail, so i decided to remove the eggs, and put the other quail (the male) back into the aviary with the breeding hen. And sure enough, the eggs had dead embryos. So now i have two quails left, one male and a female. I’ll be on the lookout for another female.

I hope you have better luck! Looking forward to seeing the pictures of the little quails following around mom and dad :) I dont believe male quails breed the eggs, but they do take care of the young. Though some have been known to kill them, so thats something to watch out for.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I'm sorry to hear that, jh81. I hope your next clutch is successful.

I'll be keeping an eye on both parents, since this is their first time. Worst case scenario, I have a brooder setup, so I can separate the chicks and raise them myself. I haven't raise button quail previously, but I have hatched chukar partridges from eggs myself. They are more challenging than chickens, since they are much smaller and more fragile.

Today could be the hatch day, although tomorrow or the next day is more likely. I'll keep you guys posted, if there are any updates.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
It is what it is :) its still early in the year, im not set up for youngsters anyways :) i really cant wait for the pictures!

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
:lol:

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Still no action. I am starting to really worry. :(

If the 16 day incubation period was accurate, we are past-due by several days at least. If the 21 day incubation is correct, then the eggs should hatch this weekend.

I am pretty sure that 16 days is right for my species of button quail. Which means this clutch is either going to hatch very late or not at all. This is Terra and Geo's first clutch, so a lot of different things could have contributed to the failure. I suspect that it was simply too early to start a nest. We are still in late winter and the weather has been quite cold lately. Terra has been doing a great job staying on her eggs, but it is possible that the ground is just too cold right now to successfully hatch the eggs.

I am not giving up yet. But baby quail pictures are looking less and less likely.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Still no action. I am starting to really worry. :(

If the 16 day incubation period was accurate, we are past-due by several days at least. If the 21 day incubation is correct, then the eggs should hatch this weekend.

I am pretty sure that 16 days is right for my species of button quail. Which means this clutch is either going to hatch very late or not at all. This is Terra and Geo's first clutch, so a lot of different things could have contributed to the failure. I suspect that it was simply too early to start a nest. We are still in late winter and the weather has been quite cold lately. Terra has been doing a great job staying on her eggs, but it is possible that the ground is just too cold right now to successfully hatch the eggs.

I am not giving up yet. But baby quail pictures are looking less and less likely.
or something could have spooked her off the nest long enough for the eggs to cool down enough to die? I think thats what happened with my quails. BBUUUTTTTTT they are allready mating and laying new eggs, soif nothing happens, we are still early in the year :) its a shame, but such is nature. Pick up, throw away, start anew.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
How´s the nest Destiny?

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
The eggs are still just eggs, unfortunately.

20210214_151707.jpg

We are well past the expected hatch date at this point so it is safe to say that this clutch will not be hatching.

I'm guessing they got too cold, either due to the winter weather or because Terra was off the nest a little too long at some point in the incubation process. She is still sitting on them even now. Can't fault her determination.

If she doesn't break her brood in another week, I will pull the eggs so she can get back to normal. Probably try again later in the year after she has had a chance to rest. I still want to see some quail babies. :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm guessing they got too cold, either due to the winter weather or because Terra was off the nest a little too long at some point in the incubation process.
Could be, or even that Geo didn´t do his part...

Maybe next time :)

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
@Destiny got anythong new to report? ;-)

my quail started breeding “permanently” since last Sunday, so we’ll see..

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
The eggs never hatched, so I removed them a few weeks after the expected hatch date. The quail have been up and around since then. I have been watching for new eggs, but haven't spotted any yet. Terra usually switches to a new spot each time I find her nest, so it is like an Easter egg hunt every day. I expect her to start laying again soon. The weather is warming up, so hopefully the next try will be more successful.

I'll keep you guys posted when she starts a new nest.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:faint: Goodness they're precious! How small are they?