• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

butchered wings-africans grey

animalover

Jogging around the block
my grandparents have an African grey named rain, it rarely rains here where I live, and it was a rainy day when she fell from the sky in their backyard on their maid, hence the name, we dont know the gender, but shes been with them since before Covid, she used to live in my grandpas room so I didnt see her as much when I visited every week before 2020, but now they moved her cage to the living room, where my mom and her siblings go every Thursday without us, because of Covid, I convinced her to take us because I missed my cousins dearly and my grandparents too, so I saw her today, her wings and tail(?) are completely completely butchered, I asked what happened because I didnt remember it looking like this, my grandpa cut them yesterday, I understand why they did this, my grandpa loves her so much but isn't capable of taking care of a flighted bird, she wasn't completely flighted before and could fly but not too high, now she cant at all, I cannot take her in, because like I said he loves her too much. the problem is, her cage is double her size, no toys, food is 80% sunflower seeds, and obv poor girl cant fly anymore, im thinking of getting her some toys, and having my mom take them to her when she goes next week, I dont know what I can do about the other stuff tho, I dont want to seem rude by telling them to get a bigger cage or better food, my grandpa feeds her anything, including chocolate, so I dont know. I cant say anything about it, her wings are I guess even on both sides, but the feathers themselves were cut at different levels, some too short. I think I have some pics, im not sure about the tail, if its normal or not.

tempImagernlIYE.jpg tempImagercDTti.jpg
tail doesn't look like it was cut, but the wings.. when I was with her I could see the roots(is that what they're called?) idk, I hope you understand that my grandpa didnt mean any harm to the bird, and he does what he thinks is best for the both of them.

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
Oh MAN that’s short. Poor baby :sad4:

Idk if you’re looking for advice here, but if you are, there are a couple approaches I’ve had luck with that you might be able to try.
One is the gift method. This takes money, which I know isn’t always possible. I have some people in my extended family who take very bad care of their dogs. I can’t just walk in and say that, it’s mean... so I have to be sneaky. I buy the dogs things (safe toys, no pull harness,etc) occasionally and say “wow, I used this with my dog and it worked so well! I thought yours might like it too!” Then it’s a fun, positive interaction instead of shame and guilt. Plus they’re more likely to use it if it’s already in the house.
Method two is the appeal to an “authority figure.” You’re conveying the information, but instead of it sounding like “I, your grandchild, am criticizing you,” it can come across like “we’re learning together!” So maybe if you got a book about parrot care and treated it like it’s such groundbreaking stuff- “Did you know they need x,y,z? I read it in this book, you can borrow it! There’s so much good information!” If you also have birds you can mention stuff you tried with yours that made them so much happier, the vet said was healthy, etc.
It’s delicate and sometimes it takes a while. My relatives with the dogs are slowly getting better, and now that they know I’ve been right a few times in the past, they even ask me for help sometimes. I hope you are able to help Rain, even if it’s just “small” stuff like getting her away from the chocolate.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Can you maybe print off a few care sheets for your grandpa? There are some lists already available online of things that are do’s and Don’t’s. Maybe if he sees that chocolate is very harmful he may realise his behaviour will cause health problems for the bird and be willing to change his ways and discuss bird care with you.

Maggiebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sally
Poor bird! I would do what you said with the toys and tell them nicely about the diet and what harm it can do them! Also like @Shezbug said try printing a care sheet for the diet like harmful foods and safe foods.

animalover

Jogging around the block
Can you maybe print off a few care sheets for your grandpa? There are some lists already available online of things that are do’s and Don’t’s. Maybe if he sees that chocolate is very harmful he may realise his behaviour will cause health problems for the bird and be willing to change his ways and discuss bird care with you.
Poor bird! I would do what you said with the toys and tell them nicely about the diet and what harm it can do them! Also like @Shezbug said try printing a care sheet for the diet like harmful foods and safe foods.
I don't think they can read, English at least, maybe I can talk my mom into telling them, I probably wont go there for the next few months because of Covid, yesterday was a one time thing, but me and my sister are going to buy a food mix and a shreddable toy, and hopefully they see how much she liked them and get more in the future, any food mix recommendations? we found the Kaytee fiesta mix, and supreme fruit blend, we just cant decide between each.

Ulis_Beast

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
Literally anything will be better than an all sunflower seed diet.
You meant this one
and this one
?

As much as I'd like to say go for the fruit blend, I fear that your Grandpa will have a tough time convincing Rain that pellets are food. Personally I'd choose the Kaytee fiesta to prevent the bird from starving. I would also give apples and pommagranates with, saying how much african grays love them.

Maybe you can translate something for your Grandpa?
Like this maybe:
(just the second part maybe)
Screenshot_20201029-082935.png
I can't link the pdf.. but it is in the link I provided.

As for food:
You could do something similar.. the pictures are more than enough!

If you can you could maybe show him videos of AGs in the wild too?
Or informational videos in Arab... I did find some on Youtube, but will not link them as they're not subtitled and have no idea what the man is saying, hence I can't recommend them.
Surely you can find some informational sites in Arab (I haven't had much luck) to show him.

I think you are a VERY BRAVE SOUL!:heart:

I really wish you the best of luck in this. For your, your Grandpas and especially Rains sake.
:hug8:

animalover

Jogging around the block
Literally anything will be better than an all sunflower seed diet.
You meant this one
and this one
?

As much as I'd like to say go for the fruit blend, I fear that your Grandpa will have a tough time convincing Rain that pellets are food. Personally I'd choose the Kaytee fiesta to prevent the bird from starving. I would also give apples and pommagranates with, saying how much african grays love them.

Maybe you can translate something for your Grandpa?
Like this maybe:
(just the second part maybe)
View attachment 359728
I can't link the pdf.. but it is in the link I provided.

As for food:
You could do something similar.. the pictures are more than enough!

If you can you could maybe show him videos of AGs in the wild too?
Or informational videos in Arab... I did find some on Youtube, but will not link them as they're not subtitled and have no idea what the man is saying, hence I can't recommend them.
Surely you can find some informational sites in Arab (I haven't had much luck) to show him.

I think you are a VERY BRAVE SOUL!:heart:

I really wish you the best of luck in this. For your, your Grandpas and especially Rains sake.
:hug8:
ohhhh thank you so much!! I can definitely do these things! yes these are the food mixes that I meant, I guess you're right about the pellets, I didnt think that through, I really want to tame her, shes really bitey, I want to show her that shes loved, but I cant sadly, I really hope to convince my mom that I want to go every week or 2 at least, they have some natural branches for her so thats good, the only thing she plays with are water bottles and caps, but she shreds them in less than 10 minutes, so I dont know a toy that would last for longer, I did find these hardwood toys but clearly it has no use, im probably going to get her these basket toys, really, thank you so much for spending your time on this, I really appreciate it.

animalover

Jogging around the block
Oh MAN that’s short. Poor baby :sad4:

Idk if you’re looking for advice here, but if you are, there are a couple approaches I’ve had luck with that you might be able to try.
One is the gift method. This takes money, which I know isn’t always possible. I have some people in my extended family who take very bad care of their dogs. I can’t just walk in and say that, it’s mean... so I have to be sneaky. I buy the dogs things (safe toys, no pull harness,etc) occasionally and say “wow, I used this with my dog and it worked so well! I thought yours might like it too!” Then it’s a fun, positive interaction instead of shame and guilt. Plus they’re more likely to use it if it’s already in the house.
Method two is the appeal to an “authority figure.” You’re conveying the information, but instead of it sounding like “I, your grandchild, am criticizing you,” it can come across like “we’re learning together!” So maybe if you got a book about parrot care and treated it like it’s such groundbreaking stuff- “Did you know they need x,y,z? I read it in this book, you can borrow it! There’s so much good information!” If you also have birds you can mention stuff you tried with yours that made them so much happier, the vet said was healthy, etc.
It’s delicate and sometimes it takes a while. My relatives with the dogs are slowly getting better, and now that they know I’ve been right a few times in the past, they even ask me for help sometimes. I hope you are able to help Rain, even if it’s just “small” stuff like getting her away from the chocolate.
oh nooo, sorry I didnt see your notification! thank you! thats really helpful advice, I thought about doing that but I dont go there too often, maybe when I do ill try! thank you so much!

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
Toy recommendations:

Well anything from ZOO MAX, BONKA BIRDS or PLANET PLEASURES, found on amazon.ae..
I would avoid the small bells and long chains.
Maybe a foot toy that Rain could find on the floor instead of a bottle?

animalover

Jogging around the block
Toy recommendations:

Well anything from ZOO MAX, BONKA BIRDS or PLANET PLEASURES, found on amazon.ae..
I would avoid the small bells and long chains.
Maybe a foot toy that Rain could find on the floor instead of a bottle?
oh okayyy, thank you again!!!

Maggiebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sally
I don't think they can read, English at least, maybe I can talk my mom into telling them, I probably wont go there for the next few months because of Covid, yesterday was a one time thing, but me and my sister are going to buy a food mix and a shreddable toy, and hopefully they see how much she liked them and get more in the future, any food mix recommendations? we found the Kaytee fiesta mix, and supreme fruit blend, we just cant decide between each.
I thought that the fruit pellets contained a bunch of non-natural dyes? Also the Kaytee fiesta mix is that a seed blend? I would try at least to go with the zupreem natural if you guys can’t afford Harrison’s or Roudybush.

animalover

Jogging around the block
I thought that the fruit pellets contained a bunch of non-natural dyes? Also the Kaytee fiesta mix is that a seed blend? I would try at least to go with the zupreem natural if you guys can’t afford Harrison’s or Roudybush.
we can but its all out of stock in my country because of Covid, and rain I dont think eats pellets and no one can train her to do that.

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Maybe next time you go over bring some fruits and veggies and say you read birds like that. It's not much, but a start that can spiral into more research.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@animalover

From the photo bird looks pretty good except for the wings. My CAG wouldn't eat pellets at first either. His diet was so bad I had to work on improving it. Get frozen veggies and warm them up. Found out he is a freak for broccoli and then I would mix other veggies in. Took months to get him to eat peas and found out if I smash them a little he ate them, now he eats them whole. I added cauliflower rice, sweet potatoes and corn.

Its a process and its not going to happen over night.

They will have to find out what the bird likes. Take a green pepper and cut out holes, stuff with carrots, apples, get creative. Paco is afraid of hanging food.

Try steam, raw, cold. Try carrot sticks, slices or cubes. Each bird is different.

I got him to eat pellets by mixing in organic, sugar and salt free Cheerios in with natural Zupreem pellets and then added Roudybush pellets. I leave a separate bowl in his cage all day and all night with these so he can nibble when he wants too.

I give him veggies noodles, just read the ingredients as some have flour in them.

Make it fun for both the bird and your grandparents. I still continue to offer him a variety and experiment. If he throws it on the floor no biggie. We have been together for 20 months and still learning what he likes. Don't give up!

animalover

Jogging around the block
Maybe next time you go over bring some fruits and veggies and say you read birds like that. It's not much, but a start that can spiral into more research.
@animalover

From the photo bird looks pretty good except for the wings. My CAG wouldn't eat pellets at first either. His diet was so bad I had to work on improving it. Get frozen veggies and warm them up. Found out he is a freak for broccoli and then I would mix other veggies in. Took months to get him to eat peas and found out if I smash them a little he ate them, now he eats them whole. I added cauliflower rice, sweet potatoes and corn.

Its a process and its not going to happen over night.

They will have to find out what the bird likes. Take a green pepper and cut out holes, stuff with carrots, apples, get creative. Paco is afraid of hanging food.

Try steam, raw, cold. Try carrot sticks, slices or cubes. Each bird is different.

I got him to eat pellets by mixing in organic, sugar and salt free Cheerios in with natural Zupreem pellets and then added Roudybush pellets. I leave a separate bowl in his cage all day and all night with these so he can nibble when he wants too.

I give him veggies noodles, just read the ingredients as some have flour in them.

Make it fun for both the bird and your grandparents. I still continue to offer him a variety and experiment. If he throws it on the floor no biggie. We have been together for 20 months and still learning what he likes. Don't give up!
yeah rain already eats a variety of veggies and fruits, apples, grapes, watermelons, cucumbers, carrots, and a lot more, im not sure about the pellets tho, and no one can teach her to like them either way, also I dont actually know if she can eat them or not, she obviously flew in from somewhere, so we dont really know what she was like in her previous household.

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
yeah rain already eats a variety of veggies and fruits, apples, grapes, watermelons, cucumbers, carrots, and a lot more, im not sure about the pellets tho, and no one can teach her to like them either way, also I dont actually know if she can eat them or not, she obviously flew in from somewhere, so we dont really know what she was like in her previous household.
That good I guess!

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I wouldn't worry about pellets so much, Paco nibbles on them that's great if not I don't sweat it. Some people feel its the food for a parrot and I don't agree. Keep us posted!