• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

But Which One...

Which one should I get?

• Cockatiel

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Quaker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I have one young, female lovebird and have been wanting a second bird but I've been completely split between these a cockatiel or a quaker for months. Vote, and if you would, please tell me your reasons why, thank you! I can answer any other questions about it also.

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
I know this isn’t on your list, but have you considered another Lovebird? Lovebirds are very social critters, and most do well with another Lovebird friend. If you were wanting your birds to be friends, another Lovebird would probably be the best option. Even then, though, it’s not a guarantee that 2 birds will like each other!

I may be wrong on this, but I believe Lovebirds are know to be feistier than other birds? Cockatiels, I believe, are known to be more calm. I have never had Cockatisls nor Lovebirds, so I can’t give any personal experience. This is just what I’ve heard.

Hopefully, people with more Quaker, Cockatiel, and Lovebird experience will come along. :) However, I will go ahead and say that I believe another Lovebird may be the best choice.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I would agree with getting a lovebird over another species, probably a male if you can find one. It’s much more likely - though not guaranteed - that they’ll get along that way, and they will both be happier for the company.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Another vote for a second (preferably male) lovebird from me. Especially if you want any hope of the two birds being friends with each other.

Cockatiels are absolute pushovers and tend to get bullied a lot by other species. If your lovebird were male, it could maybe work, but I can't recommend with a single female since they have such a strong tendency towards territorial aggression.

As for quakers, they can be even more hotheaded and opinionated than a lovebird and I feel the combination could spell disaster if the two birds decided they didn't like each other. You'd almost certainly have to keep them in separate rooms.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I think a male lovebird would be a great companion for you girl. Lovebirds are pushy and demanding and would walk all over a tiel. They just have to have things their way or the highway.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I've definitely thought about it, but she hates other birds. I definitely wasn't planning on them being friends, they'd have to be completely separate. Her previous owner had a male lovebird in with her and she was VERY aggressive. Currently I'm home all day and her cage is always open and she's walking next to me so besides getting a friend for her I think that's as social as it could get right now.
I know this isn’t on your list, but have you considered another Lovebird? Lovebirds are very social critters, and most do well with another Lovebird friend. If you were wanting your birds to be friends, another Lovebird would probably be the best option. Even then, though, it’s not a guarantee that 2 birds will like each other!

I may be wrong on this, but I believe Lovebirds are know to be feistier than other birds? Cockatiels, I believe, are known to be more calm. I have never had Cockatisls nor Lovebirds, so I can’t give any personal experience. This is just what I’ve heard.

Hopefully, people with more Quaker, Cockatiel, and Lovebird experience will come along. :) However, I will go ahead and say that I believe another Lovebird may be the best choice.
I would agree with getting a lovebird over another species, probably a male if you can find one. It’s much more likely - though not guaranteed - that they’ll get along that way, and they will both be happier for the company.
Another vote for a second (preferably male) lovebird from me. Especially if you want any hope of the two birds being friends with each other.

Cockatiels are absolute pushovers and tend to get bullied a lot by other species. If your lovebird were male, it could maybe work, but I can't recommend with a single female since they have such a strong tendency towards territorial aggression.

As for quakers, they can be even more hotheaded and opinionated than a lovebird and I feel the combination could spell disaster if the two birds decided they didn't like each other. You'd almost certainly have to keep them in separate rooms.
I think a male lovebird would be a great companion for you girl. Lovebirds are pushy and demanding and would walk all over a tiel. They just have to have things their way or the highway.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Well if you aren’t interested in another lovebird, I would say a cockatiel. They are relatively easy to care for (even when they are trying not to be lol!) they are usually fairly quiet, they tend not to be one person bird’s, they usually aren’t too nipy, and are so cute! Of course every bird is different, so you wouldn’t want unrealistic expectations no matter what bird you decide on.

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
If it is for you and not for your bird, it's going to be a challenge to give them both all the attention. I'd really like to know how you're going to manage that. Please let us know!
And I loved reading this because I want to get a second bird for the opposite reason, for my little lovie. She enjoys my company but I feel like I can't quiet give her what she deserves, since I'm not a bird.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Whether she appears to hate other birds or not, she might love a lovie! If you get a tiel, please keep the lovie away from it during out of cage time. They can be quite aggressive once they realize they can bully another bird. Also watch little toes if they get one one another’s cages.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Concern for toes led to clear plexiglass over my lovebird's cage. I made the mistake of assuming SUPERVISED meant SAFE. :( Lovebirds can be very territorial! Whatever you get... watch out!