• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Busy little baby!! Mama needs help!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I use one of the ball hooks that @Macawnutz linked to on every toy and on each door as Michael has been breaking out of his cage since the first few days that I had him. I attach it to a chain and then wrap it around the doors. I feel that it is safer than a lock as in case of an emergency anyone could undo it at the drop of a hat and get him out, but he can not do it himself. With a lock, I would be afraid of the key getting misplaced/lost. I am attaching a picture of it.
20171012_153418.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I use one of the ball hooks that @Macawnutz linked to on every toy and on each door as Michael has been breaking out of his cage since the first few days that I had him. I attach it to a chain and then wrap it around the doors. I feel that it is safer than a lock as in case of an emergency anyone could undo it at the drop of a hat and get him out, but he can not do it himself. With a lock, I would be afraid of the key getting misplaced/lost. I am attaching a picture of it.
View attachment 420647
Does Michael ever attempt to undo them?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

MacawMom87

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Brandy
You know why they make them so cute when they are little? So you don't choke them when they are older! :laugh:

Give us a picture of what he is taking apart on the cage and we can help. This is the hanger you need BALL HANGER

For toys you need a good mix of hard and easy toys. Both Jan and I have macaw experience and can help you choose things if you are not quite sure.

That's excellent!! I'll have to invest in some of those.
My little one is playing on my phone so I can't get a picture right now, but he unscrews the nuts and bolts that hold his cage together. My husband tightened them SUPER tight with a wrench and now we check them all regularly to make sure they aren't loose. I don't know what to do about the feeder doors. He's disassembled them entirely. Some of the pieces are even lost. We have just wedged dowel rods through them so he can't get out.

MacawMom87

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Brandy
Hi Brandy! I am Jan and as mentioned I make stainless steel toys with all orings welded. I have numerous stainless toys that are Macaw worthy. The Hearts in the Balance is a great toy and Masterpiece is also another great toy. Just look in the Large Bird category.

My sister's B&G was an escape artist but B&G wasn't at all and neither of our Macaws were not real big destroyer, so therefore they were not good toy testers for destruction! Other Macaws that I've had years back as breeders, were pretty destructive, so yah those ones got more of 2x4 wooden toys.
Thanks! I checked out your sight and it looks great! I'm sure we will be adding some to his collection.

MacawMom87

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Brandy
Thanks for catching that Shezbug. I meant Busy Bird toys. They make stainless steel bird toys that are foraging puzzle toys or boredom buster toys. Some examples are Ele-Waiter, Barrel Foraging toy, Foraging Box etc. But maybe someone who has tried Busy Bird Toys could weigh in on what they thought of them?

I recommended Blu's to a friend with a GW Macaw. She loved the SS toys Jan makes.
I really liked the foraging box. We have some plastic foraging toys that he really likes but I think these will hold up better and are more interesting.