• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bunnies

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
Ellen has the sweetest little voice, and is just the beat, smartest, most wonderful toddler in the whole world. This week, she asked us if she could please get a Guinea pig or a bunny. So of course, we're on the hunt now for one! Probably a bunny because Daniel had one that he loved when we met. It was a tiny little black bunny that someone dropped off at his work, and he took care of it until he could find a home for it. He says he wishes he had kept it!
I've never had a bunny before, so this will be an adventure! Stay tuned...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Aww I love bunnies! I have been wanting one too but Nikolai likes to pick up animals (ie the cat and rats) and I've heard bunnies tend to not be as durable :lol:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:loveit: I can´t wait to see who you bring home! :)

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Little one comes home at the end of February! Time to start bunny proofing and setting up a cage! Ellen says she will help feed the bunny, I'm going to hold her to it! She is helpful making and feeding the bird's chop, we'll probably give bunny the same items. I wonder that Ellen will name her! Screenshot_20200120-175304.png

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I used to raise rabbits so long ago. With bunnies, it's best to have Ellen sit on the floor to hold it. They can kick those hind legs out when holding them if the feet aren't supported properly and leave some nasty scratches or even injure their backs by kicking hard. Netherlands are small so it's easier to hold them. Plan on having it spayed or neutered. Females can be pretty testy at times since they cycle so frequently and it will also prevent reproductive cancers.... spaying will help with avoiding a temperamental female. Males... tend to spray urine to mark territories...neutering will prevent that... and to be really honest... rabbit pee can be pretty stinky! My all time favorite of the rabbit breeds I raised were the Dutch rabbits for their great personalities. Make sure you check the teeth to make sure they are aligned properly, some can have misaligned teeth which will lead to a lifetime of having to have them trimmed regularly.

Looks like a really cutie... Ellen must be sooo excited!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Ohhhh what a cutie! Congratulations!

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
I used to raise rabbits so long ago. With bunnies, it's best to have Ellen sit on the floor to hold it. They can kick those hind legs out when holding them if the feet aren't supported properly and leave some nasty scratches or even injure their backs by kicking hard. Netherlands are small so it's easier to hold them. Plan on having it spayed or neutered. Females can be pretty testy at times since they cycle so frequently and it will also prevent reproductive cancers.... spaying will help with avoiding a temperamental female. Males... tend to spray urine to mark territories...neutering will prevent that... and to be really honest... rabbit pee can be pretty stinky! My all time favorite of the rabbit breeds I raised were the Dutch rabbits for their great personalities. Make sure you check the teeth to make sure they are aligned properly, some can have misaligned teeth which will lead to a lifetime of having to have them trimmed regularly.

Looks like a really cutie... Ellen must be sooo excited!
Thank you for the info! Great idea about having her on the floor. Prevents accidental drops as well, and she'll be a tiny thing! I was hoping to find an adult already spayed or neutered, but this tiny one is only $10, so I think we can spring for a spay when she's a little bigger. Lol I'm so excited to have a pet to snuggle! Our dog prefers his bed, the cats are way too aloof, and the parrots get the wrong message with snuggles!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Thank you for the info! Great idea about having her on the floor. Prevents accidental drops as well, and she'll be a tiny thing! I was hoping to find an adult already spayed or neutered, but this tiny one is only $10, so I think we can spring for a spay when she's a little bigger. Lol I'm so excited to have a pet to snuggle! Our dog prefers his bed, the cats are way too aloof, and the parrots get the wrong message with snuggles!
Here's a great link for you to read regarding spaying or neutering. Yours may be difficult to sex at this age when it's so tiny. Just be sure to go with a vet experienced with altering rabbits since they are super sensitive to anesthesia.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
:lol: View attachment 326257 Neither of us could wait to set up the cage

Oh dear! That's too cute! Bunnies can back up to pee.... you're gonna need a high walled plastic liner and probably a large plastic liner to cover a good area around the carpet too. :D

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Oh dear! That's too cute! Bunnies can back up to pee.... you're gonna need a high walled plastic liner and probably a large plastic liner to cover a good area around the carpet too. :D
Will do! Hopefully she will use her litterbox well eventually. I plan on getting a regular cat litter box instead of a corner one. I read that's better, plus a water bowl instead of bottle. It's supposedly a heated topic in the bunny community haha

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
My rabbit exclusively uses corner boxes, she hates regular cat little boxes and she will push them out of the way and pee behind them. Never had issues with litterbox habits when we have the corner box.

Also my rabbit is very aloof, she loves me and comes and gives me kisses but most of the time she wants to play and run around by herself. Most rabbits don't like being held or picked up so I just sit around and wait for her to come to me. I also find I need her permission to pet her, she doesn't like being touched otherwise.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
What a precious little bunny! I look forward to watching this little ball of fluff grow with your family.