• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bunnies

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Water Bowl, rabbits suck in water like we do. Mine never used the bottles.
I second this. I used bowls with my mice and guinea pig, when I had them. Water bottles can get jammed and are a very uncomfortable way to stay hydrated. Bowls are more work for you, since they can get full of bedding or knocked, but I would stick to bowls.

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
I was thinking I could get one for birds that screws onto the cage. Or a heavy dog bowl. She's going to be pretty tiny, so I think I will try the corner ones and see how we do!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So cute! And I'm sure you'll be careful but just a warning. I had a bunny growing up. He was adorbs. And a dog. Things didn't go so well for the bunny..... One of my worst childhood memories.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
So cute! And I'm sure you'll be careful but just a warning. I had a bunny growing up. He was adorbs. And a dog. Things didn't go so well for the bunny..... One of my worst childhood memories.
Oh no! We'll have to be very careful to keep her away from the cats. They've brought bunnies her size into the house before. One of the reasons we'll never have outdoor cats again... Yuck!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats from another bunny lover! Your new bunny (and daughter!) are absolutely darling.

My girl was litter trained easily and had the run of the family room. Like @MommyBird said, whoa it was so hard to protect those power cords. I allowed the kids to hold her on the sofa or the floor, never standing. She was big and super friendly. I miss having something with fur and honestly I am this close to getting a guinea pig.

Can't wait to see pix of Ellen and bunny together.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Congrats from another bunny lover! Your new bunny (and daughter!) are absolutely darling.

My girl was litter trained easily and had the run of the family room. Like @MommyBird said, whoa it was so hard to protect those power cords. I allowed the kids to hold her on the sofa or the floor, never standing. She was big and super friendly. I miss having something with fur and honestly I am this close to getting a guinea pig.

Can't wait to see pix of Ellen and bunny together.
Yes... they can be devilish little chewers! Also watch that it doesn't chew on carpet or anything with fibers... they can become impacted with any kind of fiber. Most of my bunnies lived to be 9 years old!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I can't believe I forgot to add this little story to an earlier post! My cousin had a bunny when she was about Ellen's age. The two of them spent much of their time together and the rabbit lived in her bedroom, but also free ranged the house. By the time my cousin was in high school the rabbit was still by her side and was even in some of her senior school year pictures. I think my cousin even started uni with her rabbit. My cousin loved her rabbit dearly. Rabbits are very intelligent and have such an interesting social structure.

Mama Kirs

Strolling the yard
She's a cutie! ❤With regards to litterbox training: rabbits pee and poo mostly while they eat. So, make sure to provide her litterbox with something like "nature's best bedding" and put a big pile of good quality hay in there. I don't know if you can get the brand: barn-i in the US? Their herbal hay is excellent. For rabbits hay is the most important part of their diet (and it should be available to them always). Besides hay you do best to feed pellets. The best pellet food momentarily available is by Supreme Science Selective. A rabbit digestive system is very sensitive so you would want to be very careful with food/changes. Besides hay and pellets you can feed greens...but start with postage stamp sizes. And wait to see if they do well on it. And then you can increase the amount. With regards to handling: in general they do not want to be picked up. They feel secure with all 4 paws on the floor. So sitting by her and letting her come to you is best. Hope you will be very happy with her and later on provide her with a mate. They really need the company of another bunny. Shelters often provide "speed dating for rabbits". It's worth it!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
So exciting!"!! :loveshower:

JoJo&Loki