• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Bunch o' Budgies

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
What do you feed your babies?
I feed at least one pellet (I aim for two brands at a time though), mixed equal to less then a seed mix. My lot are good at eating it all when it's mixed but I know some birdies would pick out the seeds.
I try to feed a variety of veggies as often as I can, and I plan to do sprouting agian soon.
Pellet brands I use are Vetafarm and Peckish currently.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, Sunbeam does have to make sure her boyfriend Winston is looking his best! Lol!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I berrily even notice :roflmao::laugh:

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Winston is so cute :xflove:

Are you trying to tell us something with the pink :roflmao:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
All my boys love the sprouts! And is they get a few beaks of the chopped veggies along with them, all the better!

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
All my boys love the sprouts! And is they get a few beaks of the chopped veggies along with them, all the better!
Mine love the sprouts but I am really bad at growing them. We won't talk about the last batch...
Honestly in love with your white budgie
Snowflake? She's my baby :xflove: even though she's the second oldest and turning four in may :arghh:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Mine love the sprouts but I am really bad at growing them. We won't talk about the last batch...

Snowflake? She's my baby :xflove: even though she's the second oldest and turning four in may :arghh:
I would like to talk about the last batch :laugh: Such a bummer when they go yuck.

I have actually discovered my sprouts are growing better (not going yuck) being done in a container rather than the sprouter I was using so I am now just soaking them overnight then rinsing and draining and leaving them in a little Tupperware container till tails start then they get chucked in the fridge.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I would like to talk about the last batch :laugh: Such a bummer when they go yuck.
I may have forgotten their existence... for a couple days...
They grew fabulously! But were completely inedible :meh:

I have actually discovered my sprouts are growing better (not going yuck) being done in a container rather than the sprouter I was using so I am now just soaking them overnight then rinsing and draining and leaving them in a little Tupperware container till tails start then they get chucked in the fridge.
What sprouted do you use? I just have one of those green towers ones.

Last edited:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I may forgotten their existence... for a couple days...
They grew fabulously! But were completely inedible :meh:

What sprouted do you use? I just have one of those green towers ones.
I was using the Mr Fothergill's one (a tower of clear draining trays that sit on a green water catching one) but I have found the little container to work better. In the past I have struggled in the warmer weather to keep them from souring fast.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I was using the Mr Fothergill's one (a tower of clear draining trays that sit on a green water catching one) but I have found the little container to work better. In the past I have struggled in the warmer weather to keep them from souring fast.
Have you ever tried one of those sprouting jars? I've been curious as to if they're easier.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Have you ever tried one of those sprouting jars? I've been curious as to if they're easier.
Yes. When I was really little the mason jar with the SS mesh lids were all that was available as far as I know cos my Grandad used to make me help him doing the rinsing and draining and then he came across an awesome plastic one (similar to the one I have now but better) that he bought for my mum so we could do sprouts at home as my mum never had success with the jars lol I find a small container has honestly been the most simple way to make them and there are no fiddly little draining bits that I need to scrub or regularly disinfect (I am not comfortable with how the drains cant be easily cleaned)

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I find a small container has honestly been the most simple way to make them and there are no fiddly little draining bits that I need to scrub or regularly disinfect (I am not comfortable with how the drains cant be easily cleaned)
That has always bugged me too!

I had to chuck the budgies' sprouts today :shifty: Quarter's were still nice and fresh but theirs wasn't. I think the main problem is their sprout mix is a little older, probably need to use a fresh one.

With the container you're just soaking, rinsing, draining and letting sit? You're not watering them at all after?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
That has always bugged me too!

I had to chuck the budgies' sprouts today :shifty: Quarter's were still nice and fresh but theirs wasn't. I think the main problem is their sprout mix is a little older, probably need to use a fresh one.

With the container you're just soaking, rinsing, draining and letting sit? You're not watering them at all after?
I put them in to soak at night and drain and rinse the next morning then I fill the container with water and drain twice a day which at the moment is only for a day and a bit before they are ready for fridge.