• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bumblefoot?

chigen123

Strolling the yard
My budgie Felipe has been holding her left foot above the ground or in a sleeping position recently, and I was curious why so I looked into it. I think she might have bumblefoot, and I’m not sure if my other budgie Dave has it as well.
1st and 2nd photos are Felipe, 3rd is Dave image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Could we see more pictures of the foot? If you are sure it's bumblefoot take her to the vet. It looks like she might have hurt it possibly by getting caught on something. If she did hurt her foot take her to the vet. Lets wait till more people respond :D

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
What kind of perches do you have? Is there a reason other than holding the foot up that makes you think it is bumblefoot?

chigen123

Strolling the yard
Could we see more pictures of the foot? If you are sure it's bumblefoot take her to the vet. It looks like she might have hurt it possibly by getting caught on something. If she did hurt her foot take her to the vet. Lets wait till more people respond :D
I’ve noticed a light swelling in the knee(?) area, I can take a picture of it soon- my silly girl doesn’t like to stand still:lol:

chigen123

Strolling the yard
What kind of perches do you have? Is there a reason other than holding the foot up that makes you think it is bumblefoot?
She has a rounded perch with a grainy texture and 2 plastic rod-like perches that go to both sides of the cage. We’re still working on a branch perch for her, but right now the others are all she has.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m not certain- what would the sores look like?
Bumble foot causes sores on the bottom of feet, and they start out small and pink, and then turn small and black. If not treated they get bigger and get infected. Since you mentioned bumblefoot, I thought that meant you saw sores on the bottom of her feet.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
She has a rounded perch with a grainy texture and 2 plastic rod-like perches that go to both sides of the cage. We’re still working on a branch perch for her, but right now the others are all she has.
Grainy perches and rod perches might be irritating their feet. Can you take a picture of their perches? Rope perches, platform perches, and natural wood perches are the most comfortable perches for your bird, as are various thicknesses.

chigen123

Strolling the yard
Grainy perches and rod perches might be irritating their feet. Can you take a picture of their perches? Rope perches, platform perches, and natural wood perches are the most comfortable perches for your bird, as are various thicknesses.
Sure- I also put in a wooden one that she’s taken a liking to. image.jpg image.jpg

chigen123

Strolling the yard
I have pictures in a reply to Tiel Feathers’ post below

chigen123

Strolling the yard
Here’s some pictures image.jpg image.jpg

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If you have to use that white plastic one then maybe better to make it the lowest perch in an effort to have your birds use it less. They aren’t the healthiest perch for bird feet.

If your birds have bumblefoot there will be sores on their feet bottoms.

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
This is what bumble foot looks like

Basically sores on the foot

Perches have to have texture like the wooden one you have

0AE03597-C2A1-4897-BA07-FBD070E202CE.jpeg

Last edited:

chigen123

Strolling the yard
This is what bumble foot looks like

Basically sores on the foot

Perches have to have texture like the wooden one you have

View attachment 414137
She doesn’t seem to have the sores, but she has a swelling on the joint between the left foot and leg. I’m most concerned about that- do you know what to do about it?

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
Can you get a picture of the swelled joint?
I recently went through alot of feet/leg issue with my late budgie, it is best to get to the vet as soon as you can. Almost every single foot related issue is painful, at the very least you probably want a pain med. How old is your little one?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
For swelling in the joint I would be assuming arthritis but no good guessing as it could well be an injury- redness, heat or swelling tells you straight up there is a problem and as @AussieBird said- all foot related injuries or problems are likely painful and should be assessed by a qualified vet.

chigen123

Strolling the yard
Can you get a picture of the swelled joint?
I recently went through alot of feet/leg issue with my late budgie, it is best to get to the vet as soon as you can. Almost every single foot related issue is painful, at the very least you probably want a pain med. How old is your little one?
The joint is almost always hidden by feathers, so it was hard to get a clear picture, but I tried. I’m not sure of her exact age, but I think somewhere between 4-5 years would be accurate. image.jpg

chigen123

Strolling the yard
For swelling in the joint I would be assuming arthritis but no good guessing as it could well be an injury- redness, heat or swelling tells you straight up there is a problem and as @AussieBird said- all foot related injuries or problems are likely painful and should be assessed by a qualified vet.
I see. My main issue is that I myself cannot drive and the nearest vet is a 2-hour drive from where we live. It’s hard to go there (as much as I would like to), so I was hoping it was possible to cure from home.