• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bumble Foot Surgery

EmmaAndEiffel

Sitting on the front steps
My parrot had surgery for bumblefoot yesterday and is doing fine thankfully, he is now bandaged up and on pain meds and antibiotics. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with this and could tell me how long it usually takes to heal/how long the bandages will be on him?
I asked my vet and she just said as long as he needs which I have no problem with I would just like to know an general timeline.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What stage of bumblefoot is your bird dealing with? My bird had Stage 1 but I caught it early and was able to make changes to his cage so that it began to heal on its own.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My tiel had bumblefoot, the vet removed the area and bandaged her, on metacam and antibiotics, her foot was wrapped for two weeks, checked, rewrapped for two weeks, all in total for six weeks of wrapping, when it finally healed, I had to vet wrap the perch that she slept on. She had healed well and no more problems after that.

EmmaAndEiffel

Sitting on the front steps
I wasn't told by the vet but i'd guess around stage two maybe almost stage 3, he needed surgery to remove dead and infected tissue and the vet said it was on its way to infecting the bone but got it in time.
I feel terrible that it wasn't caught before now, I was bringing him to my local vet for a few weeks who gave him antibiotics but when he wasn't healing I called a different vet and they told me to bring him in right away, I ended up having to travel 4 hours there with him and they told me he needed the surgery.