• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Building Marks Flight

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
I am going to try and see if we can rebuild his flight muscles. He still can't get lift. It may or may not work. I plan to do little flights from a perch to my hands positioned so he has a little "landing strip" for millet. Maybe I can do this over my bed? It will be a soft cushion in case he misses/falls. I thought doing this one time day, maybe at least 20 reps?
Any thoughts would be appreciated. maybe this will be a recovery thread, who knows.:(

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wishing you the best of luck. I certainly hope this does turn into her recovery thread!

@Hankmacaw taught her Jasper how to fly, she may have some ideas.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
20 reps at a time would be way too much for him - especially at first. He is likely to be scared at first and will need time to process it. It takes weeks and weeks to train the bird. First he has to have the muscle, that you need to build slowly then he has to learn to flap and then control his flight It really is scary to them for quite awhile.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
20 reps at a time would be way too much for him - especially at first. He is likely to be scared at first and will need time to process it. It takes weeks and weeks to train the bird. First he has to have the muscle, that you need to build slowly then he has to learn to flap and then control his flight It really is scary to them for quite awhile.
Yeah, I tried it earlier today. Managed about 5 reps. Only a few inches for him to jump to. It helps when he can jump closer to Felix's cage lol.
He'll get there one day, I hope.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Did about 5 today too, but this time Parker was flapping his wings inside the cage and Mark got excited and started flapping a little too. Then he jumped and glided/flew to the floor. Lots of millet for that.
His wing-flapping is interesting. I wonder if I can que it somehow and videotape it.