• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Building bird stand

Eggburt Dobson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
Has anyone on here ever built their own bird stand? They are so expensive and I feel like building one might be a fun cheaper alternative. Any tips or suggestions would be awesome! :smuggrin:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Has anyone on here ever built their own bird stand? They are so expensive and I feel like building one might be a fun cheaper alternative. Any tips or suggestions would be awesome! :smuggrin:
What kind of tools and skills do you have? The only limitation is your imagination and the enginuity to make it happen.

Eggburt Dobson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
What kind of tools and skills do you have? The only limitation is your imagination and the enginuity to make it happen.

I've built little wooden models but nothing big or practical. Your skill with those bird stands and activities is amazing! Definitely inspiring me to try something of my own. I'd love to see Burt having fun on something I made :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I've built little wooden models but nothing big or practical. Your skill with those bird stands and activities is amazing! Definitely inspiring me to try something of my own. I'd love to see Burt having fun on something I made :)
Just don't cut any fingers off and start building. What I do is get a unique piece of wood. Stand it there and then just look at it for a while. Things will come to mind. Don't act right away but ponder and you will make improvements before even starting. Summon your inner bird when creating these things. :D

If you need help just ask. I'm a very good teacher. You can start with something like an old table base/stand and go from there. A lot of the hard stuff is done.

Last edited:

Eggburt Dobson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
Just don't cut any fingers off and start building. What I do is get a unique piece of wood. Stand it there and then just look at it for a while. Things will come to mind. Don't act right away but ponder and you will make improvements before even starting. Summon your inner bird when creating these things. :D

If you need help just ask. I'm a very good teacher. You can start with something like an old table base/stand and go from there. A lot of the hard stuff is done.
Thank you! Does the type of wood I use matter?

melissa68

Walking the driveway
I picked up a clothes drying rack from Wally World for $10 bucks, wrapped each pole in vet wrap, purchased natural rope from Home Depot that I used to tie rope walkways from each level to the next (my bird was clipped), and hung some toys from the poles. I got a boot tray from Harbor Freight that I screwed some wheels on and the whole stand sits on it. The whole shebang cost under $25, not including toys.

1580048641029.png

I recently took off tons of toys because I think they were getting in his way lol

Eggburt Dobson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
I picked up a clothes drying rack from Wally World for $10 bucks, wrapped each pole in vet wrap, purchased natural rope from Home Depot that I used to tie rope walkways from each level to the next (my bird was clipped), and hung some toys from the poles. I got a boot tray from Harbor Freight that I screwed some wheels on and the whole stand sits on it. The whole shebang cost under $25, not including toys.

View attachment 326577

I recently took off tons of toys because I think they were getting in his way lol
Such a clever idea! I love it!