• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Building back trust

Keetie!

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Joanne
Hello All!
I just need some encouragement on how to build back trust with my 5.5 year old male budgie Blueberry. During the last three months of 2020, he had to go to two different vets for his obesity. On all three visits, he refused to get into his travel cage and unfortunately, I had to grab him to attend the appointments. I just hated doing that...I had no choice. The weight loss journey has been slow. He now is basically, cagebound and comes out to play very little. I used to have a loving and active bird. Now he fears me and lunges at me. I know I have to start from scratch...any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
That's hard, I'm sorry you had to do it. Give him time to decide you aren't a threat, start from scratch and take it slow. Offer millet and other treats, (If his diet allows, this might not work well because he's overweight)

You already know all this, and you've done it before in taming him, but now you have experience and know how to do it again. Good luck! :hug8:

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
To be trusted, be trustworthy.

It's simple, but not always easy, and it may sound glib, but that's the path.

Demonstrate consistency and patience, be compassionate and kind, enable their agency by providing choice, and show that you respect and understand them by honouring their choices (which may not always align with yours).

Clicker training and positive reinforcement, with a valued and suitable reinforcer (millet, perhaps, as @Sunni Tiel suggested), tends to be a great start on that journey.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I have to point out (insider info) that Blueberry has lost his ability to fly because of his weight. I only mention it because I feel its relevant @Keetie!

Last edited: