• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Build an indoor aviary

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Hello!

Question.... I was looking at your photo's and the site you posted. By the way your creation is awesome! Any ways what is the ZINC they are talking about in the dog pens????Or did you use the coated one? I would like to make one in a few months.:D Thanks a Bunch!!
Almost all metal mesh material from any source has Zinc in the underlying metal. The only kind that does not have zinc in it is stainless steel.

I used the gold ones because the coating is electroplated onto the surface which bonds it directly to the metal and cannot be peeled or cracked off. The coated ones are just that, coated and the coating can be peeled or cracked off if a big bird chews on it and works to get it off. Same as powder coating.

If the bird is a big bar chewer then it might be wise to go with much more expensive stainless steel mesh or cloth.

Something to consider is if your building a large aviary, it is much less likely that a bird will chew on the bars because they do have so much more space along with much more stuff to keep them busy and really don't have a need to chew on the bars like they would in a cage that is much smaller and really doesn't provide the opportunity to move and explore like they can in a large aviary.

My birds have been climbing on the bars for almost 7 years now and all very recent blood work has come back clean for any signs of metal toxicity. I consider it safe.

Zinc is a much bigger hazard when galvanized mesh is used. Here is some info on that topic.

Aviaries. Galvanizing.

Last edited by a moderator:

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam
Thanks.!
OK one other question I'm going to do this on a wall in my living room . bottom floor sugestions?
Thanks again for your help and wonderful Idea you shared with all of us!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
My floors are concrete. I would just cover the floor with aa appropriate size piece of vinyl flooring. No seams for crap to get into and it's very easy to clean with a putty scraper and some poop off. You can even roll it up and take it outside to hose off.

Flooring stores always have roll ends and cut offs very cheap or even free.

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam
My floors are concrete. I would just cover the floor with aa appropriate size piece of vinyl flooring. No seams for crap to get into and it's very easy to clean with a putty scraper and some poop off. You can even roll it up and take it outside to hose off.

Flooring stores always have roll ends and cut offs very cheap or even free.
:highfive: Thanks Again! Can't wait to get STARTED!:dance4:

vanant

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Carrie
Boy I'm learning something new on here everytime I visit the forums! That is pretty neat setting up a bird room in the basement. But I like to see my birds and not leave them where I can't watch them.

jerseybella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
Hi john. Any chance you have a pic of your out door aviary? I would love to do this in the back yard this spring:)

resiak

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dan
Nice setup. Do you have any other suggestions to use as a barrier besides the xpens? I live in a loft with very high ceilings. Our bathroom is basically a box in the middle and there is about 5' of space between the top of the bathroom and the ceiling. I want to use that space to build an aviary but I don't really like the look of the gold xpens. Any other options?

Thanks,
resiak

Edit: Just realized this is a very old post. I'm going to start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.