• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bugs in cage?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kmurph43

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kim
UGH! My mom was cleaning her lovebird's cage today and spotted some bugs in there on the tray. She said they were really itty bitty and maybe a tannish/brownish color...hard to tell. She cleaned the cage with vinegar and hot water but didn't take everything out. Then cleaned everything with bleach and water and is still noticing bugs. My question is, she was here yesterday(with out her bird) and took care of Lucy because I had to go out of town:eek: and was here again today!!! She had no contact with Lucy today. Can she transport these bugs here to Lucy and what might these bugs be? I am really worried now about Lucy and these bugs. Of course, I am worried about her bird too but Lucy is my baby!:heart:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Sounds like a bird mite :( Can she totally replace the cage, and then soak it in bleach water?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Are the bugs actually on the bird? Can you get one or a pic of one to see what they are? Hope they get taken of.

Kmurph43

Real Name
Kim
This is a picture that she took this morning. I told her to take the whole cage outside and clean it. I feel bad for her :( Will they transfer from human to bird if she came here? She says that she can't see any on her bird, that they are just on the bottom of the cage.
tango1-albums-tango-1-picture71717-bird-mites-2-002.JPG

KellyBelly

Real Name
Kelly
I'm sorry your mom has to deal with this. Here is a picture I found of bird mites on Google.
http://birdmites.org/resources/BIRDCAGE.jpg
I
don't know if she can transfer them, but to be on the safer side I would assume that could happen.
Maybe you could take a preemptive step by cleaning your cage totally and check out Lucy as well as
you can to see if you might find any on her. Hopefully this can be resolved quickly for both you and
your mom.

Tango1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marty
They are definitely not mites, and after checking out a pic of flour bugs, they are not those either. They are tiny little ants. There is no doubt in my mind, especially after I found out where they were coming from. Kim, you don't have to worry about Lucy. I didn't bring anything bad into your house.

Kmurph43

Real Name
Kim
I'm just glad that they were ants! Poor Tango if it was something else.

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
I just have to say that you two are hysterical. :dancing:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Glad it was just ants....ewww. I remember at our old house my one tiel was losing his mind and when I went to see what was up, he was sitting on the top of the door screaming and looking at the floor. There was a bunch of fire ants getting ready to come in under the screen door! Yikes! :eek: What a good watch bird he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.