• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bugged!

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
We are experiencing a massive amount of mosquitoes here in Truth or Consequences, New Mexico. I suffer from an allergy to said mosquitoes. Is there ANYTHING out there or that I can make that will repel these little beasties and not harm TD (or the dogs, or the planet, or me)? Thanks!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Is this for inside the RV or outdoors?
For inside, mosquito nets are the best thing as well as some citronella plants near doors, like lemon grass.

Here in Spain a popular product for going out and repelling mosquitos is Nenuco agua de colonia (¨perfumed water¨?), it is sold in the baby isle in the supermarket so must be delicate enough for their skin?
I bought a bottle for my mum during her last visit and it worked quite well.

She has had success with the bracelets that have the high pitched buzz before, definitely the thing that made the most difference. Hers was radarhealth but there are more brands available now. I don´t know how well these mix with dogs though, perhaps the sound may bug them? I´m not sure.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
lemon grass, I think marigolds

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I think marigolds
They are good for keeping flies away. I didn´t know they would work for mosquitos. They were my great grandfathers favourite flowers.

Lavender is a non citric plant alternative to keep mosquitos away. I believe the oil is too but using it around TD would not be good, and I don´t think dogs do well with oils either.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
For inside, mosquito nets are the best thing as well as some citronella plants near doors, like lemon grass.

Here in Spain a popular product for going out and repelling mosquitos is Nenuco agua de colonia (¨perfumed water¨?), it is sold in the baby isle in the supermarket so must be delicate enough for their skin?
I bought a bottle for my mum during her last visit and it worked quite well.

She has had success with the bracelets that have the high pitched buzz before, definitely the thing that made the most difference. Hers was radarhealth but there are more brands available now. I don´t know how well these mix with dogs though, perhaps the sound may bug them? I´m not sure.
We use something similar in Thailand there is no odour and it really works

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I don't know if these would be helpful

BiteBlocker Xtreme Sportsman is powerful enough to kill and repel mosquitoes and black flies for 8 hours plus ticks for 2 hours. Yet it’s safe for infants, children and pregnant women. Also repels fleas and gnats. DEET Free. Sweatproof. Botanical formula of soybean, geranium & coconut oils, citric acid and other natural ingredients.
Repellent kills and repels mosquioes, black flies & Ticks
or perhaps a trap:
Skeet-O-Trap

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Downy fabric softener mix with water put in a spray bottle. Works very well for biting flies and horse flies! Might work against mosquitoes. We would use on horses abd ourselves.. not sure about around burds

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Some geranium (not all so double check which ones) plants are natural repellents and don’t smell as harsh as some other plants that repel them. There are actually quite a fair few plants that can be used in pots to repel mozzies.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh, I just remembered I read (can’t recall where) that simply covering your skin with coconut oil works- dying to find out if it works. It’s winter here and we have no mozzies for me to test it on yet. I come up in huge hot red welts that get infected if scratched when I’m snacked on by mozzies so I generally just try to wear long loose sleeves and pants in mozzie season but I want to try the coconut oil.
Before I brought birds back into my life I’d use a mix of essential oils.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh, I just remembered I read (can’t recall where) that simply covering your skin with coconut oil works- dying to find out if it works. It’s winter here and we have no mozzies for me to test it on yet. I come up in huge hot red welts that get infected if scratched when I’m snacked on by mozzies so I generally just try to wear long loose sleeves and pants in mozzie season but I want to try the coconut oil.
Before I brought birds back into my life I’d use a mix of essential oils.
My wife tried coconut oil in Thailand this year she still got bit

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
For outside.

don't know if these would be helpful
I've tried a lot of home remedies, but there's a few in here I haven't tried...I'll try them. Thanks.

Downy fabric softener mix with water put in a spray bottle. Works very well for biting flies and horse flies!
Good to know! I've always heard you shouldn't use fragrant fabric softener around birds.

Some geranium (not all so double check which ones) plants are natural repellents and don’t smell as harsh as some other plants
I'll look into some plants. .

that simply covering your skin with coconut oil works
I have some...I'll try it!
yet. I come up in huge hot red welts that get infected if scratched when I’m snacked on by mozzi
that's me, too! I have a badly infected bite now.
tried coconut oil in Thailand this year she still got bit
Maybe our US mosquitoes are different. .:)..worth a shot, right?

Thanks every body!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
About the buzzy bracelet thingies, some people can hear them also, so I would not use them around dogs. I don't know how sensitive birds hearing is, so I don't know if they would bother a bird. I know my dad had one a long time ago and I found it very annoying. I could never wear one.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
About the buzzy bracelet thingies, some people can hear them also,
That´s right. They mimick the male mosquito sound. I could hear my mums.