• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

bug spray?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heather&dolly

Checking out the neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather
this is my first post, so I hope I'm posting this in the right place and that it's not a dumb question! I'm just arrived at my parents house and I'm staying with them for the week and I brought Dolly with me. My mom just told me that she's having the house sprayed for bugs tomorrow and I was wondering if it was dangerous for my bird? If it is, what do I need to do to keep her safe? Thanks! :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Welcome to the Ave Heather! Can mom postpone the spraying till the week after? When you and Dolly have left? Bug spray not a good thing for birds!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Welcome. Unfortunately, most professional bug spray is very toxic to birds. If your mom will allow you to put Dolly in one room (small bathroom maybe) that can get away with not being sprayed you can then close the vent in that room and duct tape plastic over the vent so no fumes can get through, open the window for ventilation, and stuff towels under the door crack and any other cracks fumes could get in through. if that's not possible and there's no place you can go you and Dolly may have to spend the time in your car till the fumes can no longer be smelled. If that is your only choice I would then pick the room she will be going back in and make sure after it is sprayed you close it off from the rest of the house as was noted above so it will air out as quick as possible.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Can your mom call the company and ask them what they will be spraying and let them know about your bird? I agree this is NOT a good thing...if possible can she put it off until after you leave? Do you have anyone you could stay with instead of your mom for at least 24hours after the spray?...just throwing out some ideas...but having your bird around the spray / fumes is not the best thing.... Welcome to the Neighborhood! :Looking forward in getting to know you and what type of bird is Dolly????

heather&dolly

Checking out the neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather
Thank you guys so much! When she told me, I went straight to google and some sites said it was safe and some said it wasn't.. but after I posted this it hit me that I have a place I could take her for the day while the house is being sprayed :) I wont be able to leave her overnight though, so I hope about 8 hours is long enough for the house to air out?

Billie Faye, she's a sweet little red lory! She just turned a year old last month :D

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm glad you'll be able to take her somewhere else. It will be the safest to make sure the room she will be going back to is closed off from the rest of the house as suggested so it can air out in enough time.

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
I know of someone who lost several birds to what was allegedly bird safe spray. I would definitely air out the house really good before you go back to the house. I am SO glad you joined and posted prior to the bug spraying!! Welcome!

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Welcome! You have some great advice, I would suggest keeping the bathroom not sprayed with windows open and let her sleep in there for the night.

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
Glad you have someplace else she can hang out for the day.

Unless the product they use is pyrrethrum based it is probably not bird-safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.