• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bug spray and bird safety

Silfie

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello everyone. I'm a happy owner of a 2-3 year old Quaker parrot, her name is Cocoa.

I'm aware all spray products are better avoided near birds, and we generally do that. However recently we've had a small moth infestation in a nearby room and it's probably something we'd need to use some bug spray to solve.
This leads to my question(s); how far away should my bird be from this room and for how long? The room is somewhat well ventilated but it's next to where she usually spends a lot of her time, she's sometimes walking in and out of the room as well.
Both the room we need to spray and the area she's usually in are directly next to/under a retractable roof area, so ventilation shouldn't be a problem in theory, but I wanted to be extra safe just in case and was thinking of moving her across the house for a little while if we do this. The room also has a ceiling fan if that helps somehow.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
No you’re completely wrong. Bug spray is a pesticide. Pesticides are pure poison. You may be able to kill a few of the already hatched and flying moths but it will do nothing for the actual problem (the larvae). Then there’s going to be pesticide residue on everything.

The Moths are almost certainly coming from an open seed mix. You need to put such things in airtight containers in a cool place.

To get rid of the existing moths you must clean surfaces and cracks. That where they hide and live. Then get yourself a bunch of moth traps that have a pheromone lure to catch them until they die out.

NewMothTraps01.JPG

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue :starshower1:

The traps John posted are definitely the best option. Good luck getting rid of the bugs :)