• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bug-killers that won't affect my bird...

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlefrog

Sitting on the front steps
Hello!

Our entire building is confronting with a little "bug-invasion" because of some collecting neighbors.
We have some nasty and annoying bugs in our house too, and as much as I clean, they will keep coming back.

I need a another solution, and that would be something to kill the bugs.
I can use bug spray-killer and other things like this in the rooms where my bird doesn't have access, but I need something for the rooms in which my bird stays and also something to put around the cage, because they come to food, and well... my bird has all this goodies in the cage.

Are there any natural solution to get rid of the bugs? Some safe bug sprays to use around my bird? Something that won't affect him?

(I have an Indian Ringneck if that helps)

Thank you.

~birdybea~

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
Pyrethrin based bug sprays are bird safe, they have a very minimal odour and the natural ingredients won't harm your bird. :) We use Mortein NaturGard.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I live in Florida, the bug capital of the world. We have our home perimeter sprayed which gets most of them. For any that make it inside, we use roach motels, 20 mule team borax, and human grade diatomaceous earth.

Sapphire Moon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Hi Carole, I posted about flea's or mite's or some other tiny black bug that I noticed on a cuttlebone. Will those help with them? Do you know of anything I can spray right on the birds during their bath?

heirofslytherin123

Real Name
Gabby
when you use human grade diatomaceous earth do you just pour it on the floor where the birds are and then sweep it up later? I was wondering how to use it because i have a momma kitty who is nursing 3 one week old kittens (fosters) and i cant use anything on mommy kitty. apparently gotta bathe her in dawn dishwashing liquid

heirofslytherin123

Real Name
Gabby
"One is that on a microscopic level, the diatomaceous earth particles are very sharp looking. These particles stick to an insect and get stuck between its exoskeleton joints. As the insect moves, it gets physically cut up.

The other explanation is that diatomaceous earth sticks to the insect and somehow causes them to dry out. I think this approach involves scratching the insects waxy layer which then allows precious moisture within the insect to get out. So their teeny tiny bug-innards turn into teeny tiny bug-innards-jerky."
:nana: ha ha ha i hope they all die i HATE fleas

Status
Not open for further replies.