• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgies

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Consult an avian vet.

If the bird is already perching, I suspect that they're past the age when the bones are soft enough to put in a brace. You will need to carefully adapt the cage for this bird to ensure they have soft padded perches. You will need to keep a very close eye on the feet in case the bird develops pressure sores on their feet, and you or a vet will need to trim their claws regularly as they won't be worn down naturally.

@Zara?

Abdulla.A

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Abdulla Al Aradi
Consult an avian vet.

If the bird is already perching, I suspect that they're past the age when the bones are soft enough to put in a brace. You will need to carefully adapt the cage for this bird to ensure they have soft padded perches. You will need to keep a very close eye on the feet in case the bird develops pressure sores on their feet, and you or a vet will need to trim their claws regularly as they won't be worn down naturally.

@Zara?
He is three months old so is he past the age

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Then you're looking at how best to adapt the cage for his needs. There are lots of example cage set-ups in this forum:

The first thing to do is pad the perches with vetwrap or similar.
You probably want to get some platform perches which are flat perches that will give him a different thing to stand on to avoid putting pressure on the same parts of his feet.
Natural wood perches of different diameters may also help - the natural variation in shape and diameter will prevent him putting pressure on the same parts of his feet.
Remove the dowel perches - these are no good and will cause foot problems.

Here is a list of bird safe woods if you are able to make your own perches: Bird; Birds: Safe, Toxic Trees, Woods. Safe Tree Wood. Parrots. Parrot cages.
Here is a guide to making perches: Parrot, Birds, Perches: Bird Perch. Bird Safe natural wood perches. Parrots Supplies.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
He's already adapting rather well already. @tka has already given great advice regarding perches but you may also want to think about a platform perch or two.
@Zara has a lovebird with similar foot problems, maybe she has some advice?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Abdulla, is your bird able to perch with his right foot?

My little lovebird has one foot that is closed, but she is able to perch with the other foot, so she flies around and perches with the other foot.
I think you might find her setup thread interesting, and there´s tonnes of links on there for each thing I added to her cage. It was a case of trial and error for many things, but maybe the things that worked for us will work for you;

Also, this DIY perch could be something you could make too?

I used to house my bird in a 18x30x18, but now she is in a flight cage, gets around well, has a grate, which I find seems to be better for her, and even has a boyfriend. She lives a perfectly normal life :)

Screenshot_20210325_160837.jpg