• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Budgie's wing feathers don't look good

AngelCake

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Alex
Hi I'm new but I have been watching the forums for a while, I didn't think I'd ever need to post something until a few days ago. :(

Within the last 3 days Angel's Wings seem to of almost broke? The feathers are extremely misplaced if not missing, she's suddenly unable to fly and I can't get her to a vet until Monday, was hoping anyone had an idea what this could possibly be? She's about 3 years old now, at first I figured French moult? But her cage is extremely clean and well maintained, she's also an adult, I'd be unsure how she could've caught it. A week ago she was completely normal, but seems to have suddenly deteriorated. She doesn't pluck, not that I've seen, though those feathers do seem to bother her a lot.. She attempts to preen them often, but nothing seems to be helping. There's no parasites on her, she eats well, drinks well, she's not been the most active since having her and she is a single flock budgie because of bullying issues where I got her from. I was considering a male for her before she suddenly became like this. Sorry for rambling I'm just very worried and have never seen this before in her.

Photos have been attached.

Sorry I'm using my phone to write and attach the images, I apologize I don't actually have a PC or laptop, so do let me know if it's okay or not.

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Did you find the feathers? Could she have caught her wing on something? Can she move it okay?

I'll tag some people: @Ripshod ? @Birdbabe ?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Yep. Where's the feathers? They've either stripped or been ejected in an incident. Does look like they've stripped by getting caught in something. Does your budgie have night frights? Can we see a photo of her cage setup?
Move her to a small cage for now. Somewhere she'll feel safer, calmer and won't try to fly. At least until we solve this mystery.
Whatever has happened you do realise she's not going to be able to fly for quite a while now, at least to the next full moult?
Any cats or dogs around?

:welcomegroup:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
She looks as if another bird or animal has gotten a hold of her or was picking on her. Is this possible?

AngelCake

Real Name
Alex
thank you for the replies!

@sunnysmom I found 2 of the feathers in her cage, and yes actually! She seems to be able to move both wings fine, just irritated by the feathers that are still there.

@Ripshod I'm sadly aware she won't be able to fly for a while but I can work with it, she never flied much to begin with, she's always climbed everywhere, even when she could fly :laugh:, I'll attach a picture below, I'm still trying to find some decent perches for her, she's rejected quite a few sadly and she's never really liked hanging perches, bridges, anything really. I don't have a smaller cage at this moment, I've also never seen her have night frights, but she very well could! I have 3 cats, but all stay out of the room, I always keep an eye on it because she's in my bedroom, so they're definitely unable to get in here.

I'm at a total loss!

@Lady Jane It'd be very unlikely, though that could've been a possibility, I'm a little apprehensive to believe so, I'm just worried for her really, she's not shaken up or anything, she's always been really calm around any other animals and I've always kept her away from predators, being in my bedroom.

The cage isn't much, I've always loved the Vision cages, but she's always been lovely and content in it, she plays with her toys and such, I cover her up at night to ensure she gets her 12 hours sleep, and it's always quiet in my room.

Attachments

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
They do look mangled, by may getting caught in the bars of the cage. They will moult, but if they are bothering her that much, dare I say it? Trim off the broken ragged ones, she will forgive you.

AngelCake

Real Name
Alex
@Birdbabe she has been trying to pull them off herself, I noticed on the two feathers I found that the bottom of each feather was completely torn and ripped, so I'll definitely give trimming them a go if it'll make her more comfortable. Thank you :D