• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Budgies, two clutches, feces-filled nest box

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Maggie is the hero here.:)
aw shucks :shy: thank you!
Since they've been moved around maybe the eggs aren't viable any more? @Beasley do you know?
I don’t know, I just moved everyone as fast as possible to minimize mom’s discomfort, do you think I should go in and candle them? I’m actually surprised an egg hatched at all, I was worried they’d be damaged from being moved so much - first into their current cage, then from their home to the store, again to my home, and finally into the new nest box...they’ been transferred quite a lot!
The older ones would be easier to feed!
I definitely can hand feed them. Since she’s currently feeding everyone, it may be best to leave them with mom for now but pull them as soon as another chick hatches. I’m also worried about accidental squishing, that little chick is so wiggly! I just want to do what is best for them ❤
So many little ones coming! Hope they all are OK.
I hope so too! If their last clutch is any indication, I’m in for nine more babies! As intimidating as that sounds, I would love to see them all thriving :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Good job! Thank you for taking in these birds and I hope it’s smooth sailing from here on out! :heart:

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a Purple Martin colony every year & have had to deal with a situation like this many times. Smaller chicks get pushed aside by the bigger chicks & end up starving. So I pull the larger ones for a few days hand feed them, then put them back. If you have to pull any I'd pull the largest one. Hand feed him a few days until the smallest one has a chance to catch up a bit. You'll need to place the pulled chick in a container with a lid/air holes & heating pad underneath. Set the heating pad on medium/low heat & place it under one end of the container. That way if he gets too warm he can move to a cooler spot. Keep him covered & away from bright light. You can use several layers of paper towels in the container, so it's easy to do clean up.

Good eggs should be white. Bad eggs will look off white or yellowish. However it's hard to tell since they've been laying in layers of poop. Good eggs will be heavier than bad eggs. Give them time to hatch & then toss those that are bad.

If you have access (neighbors, state park, etc) to the long soft pine needles that are dried (have turned brown & recently fallen off) they make a great soft nest & they do not absorb liquids. You can add a nice thick layer on top of the shavings.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie