• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Budgies toe was bitten by a new irn

M_Dutra192

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Marie Dutra
My poor little budgie keeps trying to climb on my new still adjusting irn’s cage. usually he flies away fast but she got him slightly and I didn’t see anything at the moment I put them all to bed and when I went to get my little guy up this morning noticed dry blood on his toe and on his perch and he is holding it up and only walks on it if he has to. I am super worried. There is no current bleeding. He’s very eager to get out and fly around with my other ringneck that is his buddy. They are calling for eachother like crazy! lol but I’m afraid he will hurt it more. I feel absolutely horrible that I didn’t see it last night. I’m feeling like the worst bird momma ever. What do I do? How do I help him? Should I clean it? Keep him in his cage? How long will it take to heal? Any help or answers will be very appreciated! Thank you all in advance!!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Healing time is dependent on the type of injury. Sometimes it's just a surface wound; other times they sever the blood supply and eventually the toe can die and fall off. I would definitely clean it and check for signs of pain (favoring, reacting negatively when touched etc) and if it seems like more than just a nip or there is pain, I would be going to my vet.

Definitely keep it so your budgie cannot be on your ringneck's cage. Birds can kill each other through cage bars sadly!

M_Dutra192

Real Name
Marie Dutra
Thank you so much! He is definitely in pain as he is not using that foot unless he has to. I have not let him anywhere near her cage. It looks like it is a very small Knick to me on one toe. But he’s a small bird. And I have never had any of my birds get hurt in anyway. So this is traumatic for me. I would gladly take any pain he maybe in for myse But it unfortunately doesn’t work that way even though it should He unfortunately found a way out of his cage that I wasn’t aware of lol and is in his favorite hangout spot (the window) other than the foot he’s being his normal happy chirpy self. I am watching him very closely and waiting for him to fly back in his cage so I can lock him in lol.
my neighbor/friend is a vet tech at my avian vet. The bird hospital in Oakley ca. I am waiting for her response. I found this budgie almost dead from being outside. And her and I saved him. (With our vets help obviously) We will be devastated if after everything he’s been through this is what takes him. He is the happiest baby I’ve ever met and I just absolutely love and adore him to pieces!! His name is diesel

M_Dutra192

Real Name
Marie Dutra
Sorry he got hurt. Can he move it?

@Mizzely ? @Birdbabe ?
Yes he can move it. He walks on it but only if he has to. I am thinking it might just be sore but I’m still super worried. Have not gotten a response from my friend from my vets office.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’d be calling the vet to make an appointment, calling a friend who works at the vet is not quite as helpful for your bird- it sounds like it needs pain relief and possibly some attention to make sure infection doesn’t set in