• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgies starting to fly - perch advice

ddobs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
David
Hi all. My two four-month old budgies are starting to fly more/better than when I first got them (and they were clipped). When I am able to coax them out of their flight cage, they seem to enjoy being with me in the living room. We do this thing where I stand with the birds on my fingers, arms slightly outstretched. I slowly lower the birds toward the floor and this somehow triggers a flight response and they go for a short flight and land somewhere safe. I praise them and we do this a few times for exercise.

My question is - what do your budgies like to fly to when they are outside their cage in a large room? Do you have official "targets" or perches they like to fly to and perch on? Do they like to be high or low? I'm thinking of getting one of those java/manzanita play stands with multiple branches. But it's a bit of a risk because they're all $250 or more and what if the bird doesn't take to it?

What works for you? Thanks!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:bump4:

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
My budgie will fly around the room in circles and land on his and the tiel’s cage. He also lands on my desk and the floor.

Even just some perches on the outside of the cage can work.

I wouldn’t get the Java stand because the etches are often too big and slippery for budgies, making a stand out of pvc pipes and vet wrap or some other materials (wood dowels or branches would be cheaper and you can custome build it to your birds’ liking.

Here’s the stand I built for my budgie out of dowels, some wood, and a branch from a safe outside tree:

image.jpg

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Some great ideas. They seem to have there own ideas whats fund to perch on & the expensive java tree might not be it. Some just like to hang on the sides of frames of paintings or drapery rods. They'll land on anything.

A playtop area with a perch & bowls, toys & treats might be tempting hopefully.

My english budgie liked to play on the floor & her favorite toy was a small round plastic fan on the floor of course always off. She would perch on that & do battle with it. Hard to get her away from it but when she was sated she;d fly back into her cage.

I'd have ladders & all sorts of things but not interested. They sometimes just have there own ideas. :xflove:

Last edited:

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I second the boing. My budgie loved his dearly.