• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

budgies-sleep-much

Pk_halo

Moving in
Hello,
I bought a couple of budgies from my nearest pet shop. It was about 3 months ago. Recently they mated and we got a small baby budgie. The pet shop owner said us not to tame the first 2 batches of the budiges. But my mom didn't listen to them. She started to try feeding the bird and now due to her carelessness , the parents flew out of the cage and away, leaving the baby behind. The baby was born on 23 Feb 2023 and its roughly about 30 days. We did try to feed hand feed formulas, but it didn't like to eat. We gave some orange and Tulasi leaf to it, which it ate a bit. But for the past 2 days, the budgie doesn't want to eat anything we give and also sleeps day and night, sometimes it chirps and back to sleep again. I don't have any avian vet clinincs in my state and also all the vets are specialized in dogs and cats. I need help from you guys. I've reached out on every forum that i've saw with a budgie picture. I want to save this bird. That's all I wanted. Please help me out. Thanks!

Attachments

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Aww the poor baby does look very sick. Maybe share your general area and someone may be able to find a vet nearby. A vet appointment is needed (in my opinion)

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Have you tried feeding seeds? Veggie chopped into small pieces? Softened pellets? I've always use Spray millet to encourage young birds to eat.
Does he have a place to warm up? He's still fairly young and may benefit from some extra heat.

Pk_halo

Moving in
Yes I did try carrots which are boiled and chooped into very small seed and also i tried to feed some Tulasi Leaves which he ate, but i don't think that would provide him anything to survive.
Yesterday I decided to leave him to the other birds, like I have 2 other budgie bird, i kept the baby budige outside of the cage and he started to shout and they brough some food in their mouth, I waited for very long, holding him in my hands for the other budgies to accept and they did, and the fed him a bit. But still he sleeps a lot. To warm up , i kept him in my hands , which is always hot. I hope that he would be fine. Thanks for the advice tho!

Last edited:

Pk_halo

Moving in
Aww the poor baby does look very sick. Maybe share your general area and someone may be able to find a vet nearby. A vet appointment is needed (in my opinion)
I did find a vet now, he did suggest some medicine to that, but when i introduced him to the other flock of birds, he did get better.

Pk_halo

Moving in
Have you tried feeding seeds? Veggie chopped into small pieces? Softened pellets? I've always use Spray millet to encourage young birds to eat.
Does he have a place to warm up? He's still fairly young and may benefit from some extra heat.
Yes I did try carrots which are boiled and chooped into very small seed and also i tried to feed some Tulasi Leaves which he ate, but i don't think that would provide him anything to survive.
Yesterday I decided to leave him to the other birds, like I have 2 other budgie bird, i kept the baby budige outside of the cage and he started to shout and they brough some food in their mouth, I waited for very long, holding him in my hands for the other budgies to accept and they did, and the fed him a bit. But still he sleeps a lot. To warm up , i kept him in my hands , which is always hot. I hope that he would be fine. Thanks for the advice tho!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I did find a vet now, he did suggest some medicine to that, but when i introduced him to the other flock of birds, he did get better.
I would be concerned that although he seems to have picked up after your other birds fed him he may have passed his illness to the rest of your flock.

Pk_halo

Moving in
I would be concerned that although he seems to have picked up after your other birds fed him he may have passed his illness to the rest of your flock.
I hope that , it won't happen like that. I was not ready to let my baby buddy go. Had to make a decision. So I did. But only this morning I found a vet, we did a call and he prescribed a medicine called 'Normetrogyl', for the next 2 days. Hope i have a postive outcome.

LexBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
-Lex-
Aww the poor baby looks so cutee! I hope he gets better, if things get worse I would seek medical attention

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
How's he doing now?