• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgies need to Eat their Fruit and Veggies! How can I make mine love them?

Komsur

Walking the driveway
Hi, I've had my birds for over a year now, but they rarely touched the fruit/veg I put down for them daily.

They will, sometimes, clear the fruit bowl (which is separate to the regular seed bowl), but that's rare. Most of the time they'll eat one or two pieces and that's that. They don't particularly like being handled, they will let me take them out of the cage, but then they keep to themselves and put themselves away when they're done. I don't mind this, I like watching them, but hand feeding them is sort of not an option. I can hold fruit in front of them when they're in the cage, and they'll munch on it until it's gone, but I can't feasibly do this all the time.

I do put vitamin drops in their morning water, then just give them normal water in the afternoon. They also have an iodine block and a cuttlefish bone that they nibble from time-to-time.

Any other ideas?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This may help

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
I started by mixing a bit of millet into the mix. Once that peaks their interest slowly decrease the millet. Also other than kale or lettuce, mine seem to prefer frozen veg thawed under warm water and chopped fine.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
One of mine likes radicchio so far. The other acts like radicchio exists to eat helpless, little budgies. So I'm not sure...

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Budgies are granivores, so they like seeds. Try sprouting some seeds. Sprouts are packed with nutrition.

Komsur

Walking the driveway
Budgies are granivores, so they like seeds. Try sprouting some seeds. Sprouts are packed with nutrition.
Might not be a bad idea actually, are there any seeds to avoid (like if they sprout they become toxic or something)? Are things like lentils, kidney beans, peas, etc. good?

Guava123

Walking the driveway
You can chop up safe vegetables for them and mix in mashed sweet potato/hard boiled eggs as a binding agent and mix some into the veggies, you can sprinkle millet on top of the veggie chop, you can eat some in front of them, let them hang around the kitchen while you make the chop. You can bake birdie bread. Question-what is your bird's diet currently?

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Might not be a bad idea actually, are there any seeds to avoid (like if they sprout they become toxic or something)? Are things like lentils, kidney beans, peas, etc. good?
I'd buy a good mix from Avian Organics, China Prairie, or Sprout People.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Kidney beans should always be cooked, even if you sprout them. They do have a toxin (even for humans) that is neutralized by heat