• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgies, Lovebirds, and Reptiles

Budgietiel

Moving in
Real Name
Clarissa Williams
Hey everyone!! I currently have a lovebird and a parakeet that are always hanging out with my boyfriend and I in our apartment. We are now thinking about getting either a pair of beardies or a blue tongued skink. I was curious what you guys think about having birds and reptiles out at the same time. Is there a chance of viral/bacterial infections being transferred between species? We would definitely be monitoring them at all times.

riddick07

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
I wouldn’t be overly worried. If everything is kept healthy and clean it isn’t a big deal. I don’t have them rubbing up on each other or anything though. A lot of people worry about it and that’s fine but it isn’t something I’m crazy conscious about. The most I usually worry about is if the reptile I take out is big enough to kill the birds. Obviously I don’t take those out at the same time.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There’s certainly a risk. Be religious about thorough hand-washing and absolutely no contact between them. I wouldn’t even have them out at the same time to ensure there are no attacks.

Edit: My girlfriend has had both blue-tongued skinks and bearded dragons in the past and says they’re definitely a danger to small birds, so don’t mix them. Both can be quick and aggressive.

Last edited:

riddick07

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
To give you an idea of the amount of reptiles in my house. There is 55 snakes and 2 lizard, well the blue tongue Skink died recently so just one bearded dragon now. I’ve had reptiles for 15 years and birds for 11 without issue and just having some basic hygiene when it comes to care/handling. I’ve touched one and then the other before but usually I do clean my hands between lizard and bird. My biggest Retic is 13ft so I have plenty of dangerous in the house. You just have to be smart if you have both out at the same time. And if you have one person holding the lizard and one with the bird it shouldn’t be a huge deal. But skinks are quicker than one would think and their jaws are decently powerful even though killing usually requires some shaking/thrashing for them.

I guess I just find it laughable someone having trouble controlling an aggressive bearded dragon when I control the Retics easily enough when they are in a grumpy mood. I obviously don’t have the big snakes out at the same time as the birds because the hunting mode on those things is crazy and their power is enough a strike will probably kill any of the birds without even coiling.

I would be cautious if you are feeding crickets to the lizards. The parasite load is very high for them so passing that between them would be my major worry. Their are plenty of way better more nutritious options though when it comes to feeders for lizards too.

Also, quarantine is a thing and I would make sure the animal is healthy itself before touching any other animal in the house.