• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgies in their new cage, but only on the sides of it

Skyandkiwi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Misk
Hi,

So I transferred my two budgies into their new flight cage, and surprisingly it went smoothly. They aren’t scared at all and eat their treats when offered, preen, sleep and slightly move around. The only problem is that they’re doing all of this on the sides of the cage. Once they hopped inside, they both automatically went to the sides of the cage and basically did everything listed above. I understand that it is a new enclosure to them and that they are probably doing this until they think it’s safe to go down, but I really just need someone to reassure me. If someone else has experienced this, I’d like to know how long it took their bird to get down and maybe how I can help in any way . Thank you!

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww yeah, they might just need to get used to the new cage, but birds have feet that enable them to hang and feel very comfortable. So although it looks like they are working to hang, they are fine. It's surprising how many birds hang from the side or top of their cage all night to sleep. Maybe offer some of their fave things down below. I bet it won't take long.

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
Aww yeah, they might just need to get used to the new cage, but birds have feet that enable them to hang and feel very comfortable. So although it looks like they are working to hang, they are fine. It's surprising how many birds hang from the side or top of their cage all night to sleep. Maybe offer some of their fave things down below. I bet it won't take long.
Good to hear! I tried giving them treats at around the middle and no luck. Hope it doesn’t take too long to adapt:eeeek:

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
Will it take days? Weeks? lol

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
How long has it been since they moved into it?

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
Btw everyone, I accidentally made two of the same thread and I cannot delete it. Just a heads up so that you all aren’t confused

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
Give then a little while. You might find they move to a perch later to sleep
Yes I am hoping that’s what they’ll do. They’ve already hopped on a few perches and toys and that pretty much it.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
It will be different for every bird. You are right and it is perfectly normal for them to be cautious. Are there more toys onthe side that they are not going? Try introducing toys slowly. I would do target training and take it very slow, leave the pace to them.

Reactions: Ali

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
It will be different for every bird. You are right and it is perfectly normal for them to be cautious. Are there more toys onthe side that they are not going? Try introducing toys slowly. I would do target training and take it very slow, leave the pace to them.
Almost all the toys in their cage are toys they’ve hard before, so they are very familiar with them. There’s only a few new perches and toys.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
It might be just one funny coloured perch. How long has it been with the new cage?

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Just wait for a couple of days. See if they are slowly making themselves more comfortable. If not then you can hekp with a little target training to hasten the process. It may also be something that they are seeing that is outside the cage. Is it in a new location?

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do they mind if you put your hands in the cage? Maybe take out the unfamiliar toys and perches? I know I'd be upset too, but maybe just let them be. You may be giving them an anxious vibe. Animals can read us so well. If it were me, I'd find a distracting activity, then come back in a bit and see how things are. Good luck.

:heart:

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
Alright, update!
So yesterday, literally a couple minutes after this thread, they were off from the sides of the cage and explored the cage all by themselves. They aren’t at all afraid of my hands, not even my family’s hands as well! Lol, such social birds! They used accessories in their cage they never had tried before, which was quite rewarding to see! So they have found their food bowl and both went themselves to eat, although I’m not sure if they are getting the hang of it, I hate the thought that they could be hungry. I did manually give them the bowls once Or twice, although I want them to go to their food bowl and find it independently. I left the food bowls and I’m waiting to see any hulls. Any advice to encourage them to their food bowl? I was thinking of putting millet near the food bowl to lure them, although with the size of the cage, I don’t think they’ll notice it, but I guess it’s worth a shot. Yesterday, they did hang on the cage bars to sleep, but once I uncovered them in the mourning, they were on their perches. I guess there just up there to feel safe in a new cage. They also always did this in their old cage, hanging on the bars to sleep, so I guess it’s probably just a habit.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I'm so glad they decided to explore around! If one has found it I'm sure the others will quickly find it too and I doubt they would forget where it is. What are you feeding them? If it is seeds, then blowing onto the bowl to see if the empty hulls fly off may help you understand if they have been eating. If you worry about bullying then you can try placing several food dishes in the cage. And do hang the millet. I'm sure they will notice it, they have got a very keen sense of sight.

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
Yes there are 2 food bowls with pellets and seeds , one for each of my two birds Sky Andy Kiwi, so they don’t fight much! There is also a water bowl and a veggie chop bowl. I just checked on them and I do see some hulls. I also put some millet, so I’ll see if that worked.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Are there pictures of your new cage anywhere? I'm so curious to see after your posts!

Reactions: Ali

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
They are going crazy over their kabob, rattan ball toy and natural wood perches. I love seeing them happily flying from perch to perch in their cage. By the way, the millet worked! Thank god! I took the millet out and they ate! They got interested in the veggie and water bowl when I moved it around a little and ate some of that too! Lol

Attachments