• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgies' beaks getting long

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've noticed my budgies' beaks, especially my boy's, are getting a little long. They have a cuttle bone and mineral block in the cage, but they haven't touched either in the two months they've been here. My girl does like to chew on things a lot, but my boy doesn't really. I used to have a lava rock in the cage that they both used to chew on, but I think my girl started eating it, so I took the rock out. What else could I give them? And how could I encourage them to use the cuttle bone and the mineral block?

birdiecare

Meeting neighbors
For starters, do they have a vet? A vet could trim their beak! If not maybe try calling other local avian veterinary centers, as for encouraging maybe try to entice them towards the cuttlebone. I'm not much of an expert there haha :lol: best of luck!

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Yuka is soft and could help, any wood toys really. Also you could offer some crunchy veggies, dunno how much that would help but maybe?

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
For starters, do they have a vet? A vet could trim their beak! If not maybe try calling other local avian veterinary centers, as for encouraging maybe try to entice them towards the cuttlebone. I'm not much of an expert there haha :lol: best of luck!
I do have a vet, but I don't think it's necessary to put them through so much stress just for this. Their beaks aren't that long. :laugh:

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yuka is soft and could help, any wood toys really. Also you could offer some crunchy veggies, dunno how much that would help but maybe?
Is yuka the wood that they use in bird kebabs? I might get one of those.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
My little one always has access to balsa blocks and sticks (we use one as a perch which he loves to chew) and one of them chalky perches (sorry can’t think of the correct name for them) and he has no worries keeping his beak in perfect biting order. Maybe you could offer more chewing surfaces to help?

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
My little one always has access to balsa blocks and sticks (we use one as a perch which he loves to chew) and one of them chalky perches (sorry can’t think of the correct name for them) and he has no worries keeping his beak in perfect biting order. Maybe you could offer more chewing surfaces to help?
They have several wood toys, but I'll see if I can find one that my boy likes better.