• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgies are playing instead of going to bed

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I normally put my budgies to bed at 8pm, and lights out at 10pm. I don’t turn the light off until 10 because they usually eat and that’s when I’m up and moving around anyway.
but the past few nights, they’ve been staying up until around 12-1am playing, talking, etc. Everytime i peak in the cage Phoenix and Raijū are together messing with something, talking to each other, beak fencing, etc. I always wake them up at 10-11am, and I there is no noise or anything keeping them awake that late.

It doesn’t keep me up so it doesn’t bother me, I can fall asleep while theyre playing, but I wonder why they do this? Raijū was sick and vomiting earlier (we are going to the vet in the morning, but he has fine for now) I wonder if that has something to do with it?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Maybe they didn´t fly and play hard enough during the day?

This sometimes happens to me if I put them to bed earlier, when they slept in that miorning, or when the clocks change, daylight hours change etc.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Maybe placing foraging activities around room can help them get get more ecxersise

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
My birds usually get put to bed and lights off between 8-8:30pm, but I have noticed that my budgies will continue to talk and sing to eachother even after they have been covered and lights are off for the night sometimes, especially if they weren't out for as long as usual one day, or if they slept in that morning.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I highly doubt they don’t get enough enrichment/playtime during the day, they have tons of toys and I love to give them foraging opportunities and I train them every day. They’re also out for at least 4-6 hours every day and lately it’s been closer to 10 hours since my brother takes them out to play as well

Yesterday they only got 6 hours of sleep since they were up playing until midnight again then had to go to the vet in the morning... they went right to sleep last night :roflmao:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Lights out! If they can't see they can't see to play.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Lights out! If they can't see they can't see to play.
The only light that's on after 10 is their night light, should I turn it off? Or maybe its too bright for them, but I don't think so since I can hardly see in the cage with it on

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My two get there cages covered at 9.30 sometimes they are chattering to each other a hour later.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Of my three Conures I've had only Nala would go to bed right away when the lights went out,Zazu would stay up between 5 to 10 mins I'd hear her shuffling around and chipping a toy before she'd finally settle down. Tobias is a bit of an oddball he's improved a lot since I've had him but some nights he will go right to his sleep perch and settle when I say night night but other times he will yell and make all sorts of noises and climb to the bottom of the cage and run back and forth for about 5 or so mins before he finally goes to his perch to sleep or other times he will chip away at the toy that he sleeps against for a few mins before he goes to bed :what: there is no rhyme or reason to it we have done the same sleep pattern for a month now lights and tv off at 845 I'm hoping the older he gets the faster he will settle down at night but its still an improvement from when I first bought him home so I'll take it,lol.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Times will change soon and darker earlier. This may change that late play time. You can always try it with the night light out and see how it goes.