• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie won't open his eye

choomchoom

Moving in
Real Name
Isabelle
I rescued a budgie a week or two ago, he's clearly male and the rescue said he was about one year old but I'm leaning more towards 2-3 years. He's been very hand skittish but has an amazing personality. He's adapted very well, no visual issues, the rescue said he recieved a vet exam and has no history of medical problems.

But 2 days ago I noticed him keeping one eye partially closed, a quick google search made me think it would disappear within a few hours to days. Unfortunately, I came home from work today to see his eye completely shut, he's hiding in one corner to avoid open space on his blind side. Every so often he'll rub his face on the edge of sticks to try to help himself see but it hasn't worked : (
So I wrapped him in a tshirt and took a damp towel to his eye to see if it was just gunk I could clear, but the eye itself appears to be kinda cloudy? I don't know how eye issues work in birds, I'm afraid of an infection and have tried to contact local avian vets but they're all closed right now. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a physical injury? Should I be more worried, or not bother with a vet visit?

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry to hear about your boy! I'm not qualified to tell you whether he has injured his eye or there is some sort of infection, but I do encourage you to take him to your vet ASAP. It sounds as though he is in pain. I wish I knew something to help with that. Hopefully someone with more experience will be along and have some helpful ideas!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue,

I recommend being persistent in finding a vet to take a look. Wish I could help more, but you have already listed some of the possibilities; injury, infection.

In the meantime, keep him out of bright lights by offering a corner for him to go to where he can rest in comfort.
Monitor him closely and watch out for loss of appetite, or anything else out of the ordinary.

I hope everything will be ok!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

I totally agree with the others about finding a vet ASAP.
I hope everything will be ok and your little one is feeling better soon.

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
I agree finding a vet is very important! It may hurt him or itch. Even if noting is wrong with him it's always important to have a vet close by. Accidents do happen sometimes and knowing where an avian vet is always important.

Feather

Avenue Veteran
Echoing all the above about getting him to the vet, but in the meantime it wouldn't hurt to flush the eye with lukewarm water - better yet if you have or can get it, sterile saline. Be careful not to get it in his beak/nares.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'm going to echo the vet advice but add that you could possibly contact the rescue to see if their vet will take a look.
Good luck.

:welave:

choomchoom

Moving in
Real Name
Isabelle
Update:
Thank you all so much for the advice, I scheduled an appointment w/ an aviant vet asap :)
The doctor said that he had a lacerated cornea, from either flying into a stick or his cage or anything sharp. He said it wasn't a common ininjury, I just had "bad luck"
I'm heartbroken but glad that my boy is somewhat okay! He is on hourly eye drops to see if it'll heal on it's own, otherwise I can have his eye sewn shut or pay a hefty price to get his cornea reattached via surgery.
Thank you all again, please stay safe <3

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Quite the bittersweet update. I´m so sorry he got hurt, but I´m glad you got him to the vet and hopefully the eyedrops will help and he will heal.

I wish you both the very best!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry to read about the injury your boy suffered! Hopefully he is much more comfortable with the drops, now, and in time, the injury will heal :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Fingers crossed the drops help and your bird is feeling better soon.