• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Budgie With Weird Symptoms

AppleyJuic

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey all, I am a semi-new bird owner. I got Basil (male parakeet) almost a year ago in March, and he's been a healthy and happy little guy up to this point. He was from a local pet store, so he's a bit skittish and I don't handle him too often, but he's very energetic and loves to fly around and play with his toys all day. Yesterday I noticed him acting lethargic and puffing up. I thought he was just cold, so I increased the temperature in our house, but the symptoms persisted. He also has wet/looose-looking stool (picture below) and spent most of yesterday sleeping with his head and beak tucked into his back feathers (picture of this also included below). Weirdly enough, he has been eating just fine and chirping occasionally. It seems like he's eating more than usual; when he's not sleeping, he's either eating or preening. Today I saw him preening in a very strange, aggressive-looking manner. I have a video of this below too.

Today and yesterday are a holiday where I live (America), so the avian vet I usually take him to is closed until tomorrow. There is an emergency vet about 20 minutes away from my house that is open 24/7. I'm thinking of taking him there, I'm just not sure how experienced they are with birds. Their website says they do have an avian/exotics wing, but not much information is given about it. Any information you guys could give me about what may be wrong with him would be really appreciated, thanks so much everyone!

Link to the video is here.

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Definitely a sick birdie . The bright green extra liquid around his poop can indicate infection, or liver inflammation or kidney inflammation, or s combination, or another problem. As is fluffy and sleepy more.
One common infection it could be is clymadia , a bacterial infection that is often associated with bright green bilirubin in urine. But there are other conditions, or infections so a veterinarian would have to determine.

Make sure he has seeds and not build of just hulls left over.

The video is him preening, they have a gland there they take the substance to preen with.

It's a tough call when it comes to emergency, it's up to you and how you feel he is doing.
If he is still eating and drinking and moving, I myself try and wait and get in first thing in the morning at my avian vets. Or i call their hospital line and see if they have on call doc or message if what they recommend for off hours emergency.
If he is only sleeping and rarely moves or only a little and barely or nit eating I myself would go to emergency vet.

It's very difficult to know with birds just how sick they are.

What is he doing right now?

AppleyJuic

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello, thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. Right now he seems fine, he's preening and he's been eating regularly. He's definitely more lethargic than usual, but he's still somewhat active, hopping around the cage and such. I looked into the emergency vet near me a bit more, and it has a lot of bad reviews from fellow bird owners. Apparentley their avian wing isn't too well-staffed. So, for now, I'm going to try to wait until tomorrow morning to take him to his usual avian vet. I'll update this thread if anything changes. Again, thank you so much for your reply. <3