• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie with no tail

elena_2004

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elena
Hi, I'm new so I'm not sure how this site works yet.
Today we found a young budgie in the middle of the road. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a tail. It doesn't seem like it happened recently as there is no blood around the area. He is eating and drinking, though he is obviously very scared.

Will this affect his flight or health in any way?

Thanks in advance :heart:

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
This recently came up regarding another budgie. That thread might be worth a read. Link

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:loveshower:

Seen lorikeets in the wild in Australia.
Beautiful but for me the diet & the poop would not work out.

I have a Rio too

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It will affect the flight but most will manage quite well without a tail. No biggie really.
The tail should grow back soon if it was just dropped or pulled out, do you think you’ll manage to find the owners of this poor little guy you saved from a car tyre?

elena_2004

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elena
It will affect the flight but most will manage quite well without a tail. No biggie really.
The tail should grow back soon if it was just dropped or pulled out, do you think you’ll manage to find the owners of this poor little guy you saved from a car tyre?
Probably not :( Unfortunately we think his owner released him on purpose, as he didn't want him anymore.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Thinking about it this budgie could be an escapee and lost his tail feathers when the owner tried to catch him. Please try and find his owners, before you get your heart set on keeping him. If you have to give him up can easily get another.
Sorry Shez, I never made the connection.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I agree there is no way to know how the bird became lost. The right thing to do is put up signs, social media and ask local vets. Post lost bird on 911 parrot. Best not to show photos Is there a leg band on the budgie?

elena_2004

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elena
Thank you all for your messages!

I get what you are saying, unfortunately in my country many people do this sort of thing, that's why it is very likely to have happened, though I agree there is no way of saying. Again, unfortunately, many people respond to such ads, even tough they would not be the real owner. I have put up ads on facebook groups, and have gotten over 50 people saying he is theirs, who to believe?

I forgot to mention that he is still a young budgie, and though he has all his feathers apart from his tail, he cannot fly high/long distances so it is improbable that he flew away. In fact we easily caught him.

elena_2004

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elena
I agree there is no way to know how the bird became lost. The right thing to do is put up signs, social media and ask local vets. Post lost bird on 911 parrot. Best not to show photos Is there a leg band on the budgie?
Unfortunately he doesn't have a leg band :( Many people here breed them at home and sell them from home, and they don't put leg bands on them. As for the parrot 911, I'm not sure what that is. I'm European and I don't think this service is available :(

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
:needpics:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think Parrot 911 is worldwide. I'd still try to find the owner. If you fail, you can enjoy your bird in peace. Where I live, people dump rabbits like that, but when a family member found one & we managed to trap him, I still did everything short of move heaven & earth to find his family. This means that I can enjoy him in good conscience. Worth the effort!

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
I wouldn’t post a photo and if someone is missing a budgie have them send you a photo of the bird to see if it is the same bird. Wishing the best of luck! I am glad you found this little one and are able to produce for him/her!

elena_2004

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elena
I think Parrot 911 is worldwide. I'd still try to find the owner. If you fail, you can enjoy your bird in peace. Where I live, people dump rabbits like that, but when a family member found one & we managed to trap him, I still did everything short of move heaven & earth to find his family. This means that I can enjoy him in good conscience. Worth the effort!
I just checked out parrot 911, and though it says international when I press report a missing bird it says this website is not available in you country :(