• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie wing bleeding everyday

Tipsy

Checking out the neighborhood
When my budgie was born (she was very little) another one of mu budgies got into her cage and bit her wing, I couldn't get there fast enough to stop it.
budgie wing bleeding - Album on Imgur
Now my budgie has grown up and her wing looks like this, and keeps bleeding, I think it bleeds because she tries to clean her feathers and this causes it to bleed.
Her bitten wing looks smaller than the other one and she can not fly because of it.
What should I do? I tried treating her wing with some honey everyday but it doesn't stop bleeding.
I live in a small village, there are no avian vets here or anywhere that I can reach unfortunately.
Any help is appreciated.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Cornstarch or flour can be used to stop the bleeding. I can’t say I have ever heard of honey stopping any sort of bleeding before, helping wounds to heal I have heard of though.

@Lady Jane, @Ripshod, @Fergus Mom, @Zara, may be able to help you out with some type of care you could provide at home if there are no vets anywhere that you could go to. I can’t think of who else to tag for help at the moment.

His wing looks awfully sore to me the poor baby. I hope you can find him some help.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Her wing tip is definitely missing. She needs to see a vet to have the area cleaned up and surgically closed or she'll keep having problems for the rest of her ife. Keep it clean for now with just clean (boiled and cooled) water and fresh-from-a-sealed-pack cotton wool.
Do you have a collar or cone she can wear so she can't reach the wound?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Your bird needs a medical professional at the very least to treat this wound. Any vet should be able to do this. There is a kind of honey that can be used for wound care. @Birdbabe has mentioned it before.

The main medical use for manuka honey is on top of a wound. It is generally used for treating minor wounds and burns. Manuka honey is also marketed for use in many other conditions, including: Preventing and treating cancer. Reducing high cholesterol. Reducing inflammation inside the body. Treating diabetes.
Manuka Honey: Medicinal Uses, Benefits, and Side Effects

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so sorry - poor little guy. He definitely needs a vet to trim the dead flesh and sew the wound closed. Right now he needs some painkiller - Metacam is most readily available.

You are going to need to make a collar for him so he can't chew on that irritating/painful wound. Then you will need to make the wound immaculately clean and cover it with sterile bandages. Look up figure eight bandages on birds on the internet - he will need to wear one to keep his wing from flopping around and damaging the wound and to keep the bandage on.

He really and truly needs a vet's care. If you can tell us where you live (just the area and country) we can possibly help you find a vet.

Good luck and keep us posted.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Agree with others that he needs to be treated by a vet. He may need both an antibiotic and a painkiller and probably have the area bandaged.
You can search for vets who treat birds here:
Association of Avian Veterinarians
Some of them are Avian certified and some of them aren't but have experience treating birds. However when you contact a vet's office ask how many birds they see daily or weekly so you can get a better idea of the actual time they spend treating birds.
Maybe a member can give a recommendation for a vet if you let us know your approximate location.
Hope all will be well. Please keep us updated.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
That looks so painful!:(I hope you can find him the help he needs. It’s very important that he doesn’t get an infection through the wound, so keep it very clean. It would be good if he had some antibiotics and a pain killer.