• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie walking side to side on perch

qiaolintan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tan Qiao Lin
I recently "inherited" a budgie from another family member who could no longer keep him. Tro is probably 3 years old and I've had him for about a month now (Been trying to convert him to pellets and WOW he is so stubborn).

I've noticed that he keeps running from side to side along his perches. Sometimes he calls out to the birds outside as he does this. Is this a behavioral problem? Is it harmful to him? I attached a link to a video!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
He is running back and forth because he's excited I'd say, or could be the equivalent of zoo animals pacing if they aren't otherwise engaged. His cage is pretty small... Does he have any chewable toys?

qiaolintan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tan Qiao Lin
He is running back and forth because he's excited I'd say, or could be the equivalent of zoo animals pacing if they aren't otherwise engaged. His cage is pretty small... Does he have any chewable toys?
Yes he does, but he hardly touches them. He prefers the bits of paper, kitchen towels and kitchen rolls that I tie around his cage.

I leave the cage door open whenever I'm in the room with him so he can come out if he wants to. Is that fine or should I get a bigger cage?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes he does, but he hardly touches them. He prefers the bits of paper, kitchen towels and kitchen rolls that I tie around his cage.

I leave the cage door open whenever I'm in the room with him so he can come out if he wants to. Is that fine or should I get a bigger cage?
Ideally you want a cage that is big enough for them to stretch their wings in, which for a budgie means an 18x18 inch cage.

If he likes paper he may also like balsa, yucca, cardboard pieces, cork and Mahogany pod slices :)

qiaolintan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tan Qiao Lin
I leave the cage door open most of the day, but he usually comes out for about an hour before he goes back.

I just ordered a bigger cage online and it should arrive in a week or so. Thank you so much for the feedback!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
My Lucy Bird used to do this on her perch - I used to think it was so cute! I am wondering if your Tro will dance like my Lucy did when you put on some happy music!
:birdance:

Your Tro is So so cute! Yes, I think he needs a larger cage, and I'm so glad you have one on order.

:welcome2:

qiaolintan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tan Qiao Lin
The new cage finally came! It's so much bigger than the old one, and I hope Tro will be happier in this new cage (once he gets used to it anyway; he's still attached to his old one and wants nothing to do with the new one yet!)