• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Budgie vomiting/not eating

SamAlexandra

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
My budgie, Bobby, started vomiting clear liquid and seeds yesterday so I rushed her to the vet, who has prescribed her Baytril and Metronidazole for a week and Emeprid for a few days. They think she might have some sort of infection, or maybe sour crop or canker. The vet said she should start looking better after 48 hours.

The reason I'm posting here is because it's been 24 hours (only just) since she had her first doses, and she's behaving very strangely.

She ate a small amount of seed this morning but ever since then she hasn't eaten. She'll go to her food but not eat it. I went out to get some millet sprays and egg food and at first she had a little of each, but it's like she can't eat more than 1-2 seeds. Or she falls asleep briefly. The whole day (until about 10 mins ago) she has NOT kept still. She was constantly going around her cage and wouldn't stop. That's not normal for her at all. It's like she's looking for food. She also seemed disoriented.

I'm waiting for a call back from the vet for advice, but wanted to know if anyone here had any advice for me. (Also important to note there are no avian vets in my area, but my vet is much better with birds than any other I've ever met.) Her feathers are very puffed up and she looks unwell. She's finally resting now.

Thank you in advance to anyone who replies to this.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
The only thing I could just suggest is to make sure you keep it warm if she’s not eating see if she’ll eat some Carol or corn syrup and get her some Pedialyte half Pedialyte and have water to drink

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It may be a good idea that she stay at the vet for supportive care and when she is strong enough, possibly they can get some blood work done. They may want to test for metal also.

I hope she will be feeling better soon.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The one thing I can think of is that perhaps your bird is allergic to Flagyl. Some birds are - my GW male was given Flagyl (Many years ago) and he became very agitated. He would fly off in any direction, hitting windows and anything else in his way. When he tried to walk, he would stagger like a sailor on a drunk. Blue and Golds are supposed to be the most sensitive to Flagyl, but that doesn't exclude other species.

You may want to give your vet a call and explain his symptoms.

SamAlexandra

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Thank you everyone. :)

She's gradually started to eat little bits at a time. For some reason she only wants to eat off the floor of her cage (usually she never goes to the floor) but I'm just glad she's eating. She's also sleeping on the floor now which is scary. She is a little disabled (she's absolutely fine though, adapts really well) as she has some issues with her feet, and this (whatever this is) is effecting her balance pretty badly.

I've been giving her tiny amounts of guardian angel by syringe when she let's me (she will take that willingly, I just offer it to her) so I'm hoping that's helping. I'm also keeping her as warm as I can.

The vet offered an appointment tonight but I didn't take it as the long drive and stress seemed like a bad idea, and I'm not convinced being away from home wouldn't do more harm than good.
The vet also said to stop the Metronidazole right away, and we can swap to Ronidazole if Baytril alone doesn't sort the problem out.
Bobby has had Metronidazole at least twice before and she always reacted badly to it, just not this badly. I'm hoping once it leaves her system she will feel better. It's currently 7:30pm and she last had it at 10am.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Stop the Metronidazole immediately, maybe amoxicillin would be better? .can you get her to eat soft pellets, scrambled eggs, cooked cooled oatmeal, anything right now,,,and hydration is most important, to help flush the Metronidazole out as quickly as possible,,,hope shes ok!

SamAlexandra

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Stop the Metronidazole immediately, maybe amoxicillin would be better? .can you get her to eat soft pellets, scrambled eggs, cooked cooled oatmeal, anything right now,,,and hydration is most important, to help flush the Metronidazole out as quickly as possible,,,hope shes ok!
Would amoxicillin work alongside baytril, do you know? I can ask the vet about it. I'm hoping the baytril alone will fix the problem, but it's good to know there are more options.
At around 8pm she ate soft egg food and millet on and off for about 40 mins! I'm so relieved. She seemed much more settled after that. I'm going to keep encouraging her to drink, but she's not too keen. I'm still so worried but things are better than they were 12 hours ago.
Thank you so much for the suggestions! :)

SamAlexandra

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Update on Bobby: She's back to her happy, bouncy self ❤ The Baytril must have been all she needed, as she's pretty much back to normal now. Still a little tired, but antibiotics tend to have that effect, plus she's had a very tiring week. There's two more days left of the Baytril, and I'll also give her some Ronidazole to make sure the canker doesn't come back, as she's prone to that. Thank you for all of your advice!
Thought I'd share the good news :)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Very happy update. Egg food is a good thing for them to eat. Keep up with the soft food moist is good to keep hydrated.

Looking forward to another good update! :)