• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

budgie under stress? or sick?

littlekiko

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
littlekiko
Hello. Im new here hence, i apologize if i did not post this in the right category.

i had three budgies in total. all of them are albino budgies. a pair and a baby. the male budgie never comes to me but is not scared either. the female budgie always comes to me easily. eats from my hand. flies and sits on my shoulders. the baby budgie was very attached to me. it would only eat from my hand. would sleep on my hand as well. anyway..

Yesterday was a very difficult day for me. My one month old darling baby budgie passed away after its head got stuck in the cage bars. the cage was the right size for the budgie but i dont know how the baby budgie managed to put its little head outside. anyways, i guess it choked because when i found it in the morning, it was already gone.. (it happened overnight while i was asleep) the other two budgies, the pair, which is around 5/6 months old was sitting on the swing.. not doing anything. not making a sound

the main reason i am writing this is to ask for your help. i dont live in the U.S. and where i live, there is no avarian vet around. hence i thought i would consult experienced bird owners on here.

ever since the death of my budgie, the female budgie is acting a little different. she is coming to me like before, but is not eating from my hand like always. she is still sitting on my shoulder. but everytime she is around me she breathes very very fast, it looks like her heart will pound out of her chest and she also breathes through her beak because its constantly moving. she is also sneezing a little but no secretion is coming out of her nose or eyes or mouth. however, whenever i put her back in her cage with the male budgie, she is back to normal. she doesnt breathe fast and neither does she breathe from her mouth. her poop is normal. she is eating normal as well. (just not from my hand like always anymore)

so im really confused and worried for my budgie. is she sick with some respiratory diseae or is she stressed about the baby dying?
in either case, how can i help? im really scared that something will happen to my budgies..
also, why is she not eating from my hand and is looking scared and breathing heavy around me??

also, my budgies are placed in my lounge where we turn on the AC sometimes so it does get a little over the room temperature. so is the cold effecting her or making her sneeze or??

ANY help will be VERY VERY helpful.. i am already very devastated about losing the baby i cannot afford to lose the other budgies as well. Please help me. Lots of love and prayers to you all.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It could be your bird is grieving the loss of the little one. All I can suggest is be patient, spend time sat by the cage, talking to them and offering millet or other treats through the cage bars.
I'm very sorry for your loss.

littlekiko

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
littlekiko
thank you for reaching out. so shes not sick or anything? just stressed? want to be sure. sorry for bothering you again

It could be your bird is grieving the loss of the little one. All I can suggest is be patient, spend time sat by the cage, talking to them and offering millet or other treats through the cage bars.
I'm very sorry for your loss.