• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie Travel Help!

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I need some advice on traveling with a budgie, we have already purchased a bird carrier and I made sure that budgies were allowed in South Carolina. Do I need to talk to an avian vet before I leave? The ride is ussually between 15 and 13 hours long by car. We're not sure when we're leaving yet, but I think that we will leave around the end of July or the begining of August.

The bird carrier that I purchased:
Petsfit Bird Carrier with Stainless Steel Bowl, Slide Tray for Easy Cleaning, 13" x 10" x 16"
(from Amazon)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My vet said when traveling with any birds in a carrier its best not to have hanging toys in the cage. This makes sense. Is your budgie sensitive to motion? If so your vet may suggest a medication to make the bird more comfortable. I would take extra paper towels or whatever you use on the cage bottom and several bottles of water. Make sure your automobile has been checked for a long distance drive also so you don't have any unexpected breakdowns in the summer heat.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Just be careful of anything with fibers as budgies are big chewers, especially females and fibers ingested over time can block the crop. You sound very responsible and I wish you happy trip with bird.

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
Good luck! Sounds like your all prepared. :D

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
budgies are big chewers, especially females and fibers ingested over time can block the crop
@Lady Jane Thanks for the great advice! I'll find somthing without fibers so his crop doesn't get blocked up on the long trip!

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Also, I'm staying a relative's house so I probably won't have to worry about finding bird-friendly hotels.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
But I'm still going to look aroung just in case. :)

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Hope you and birdy and all have a great traveling time! You did well in planning in advance, and removing swinging or moving things that could hurt him in car travel!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
What is the brand of your carrier? Is it for small parrots or is it a one size fits all?

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I was looking at one with the plastic cover in front like the one you have, but I'm afraid it could get very warm inside if there is much sun. What is your experience?

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
It actually doesn't get as hot as you would think. I always watch for signs of overheating and so far he's never show signs of overheating while inside! (I never stay outside for longer than 35 min. at the most) (35 min. is in the morning sometimes beacause my dad uses a probably-teflon-coated griddle to make blueberry pancakes or else they don't cook corectly)

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Ok, so carrier in the morning, harness in the afternoon then ;)
Is Kiwi really drinking from those? I'm not sure my birds would realize this is water, but the little dish provided in the carrier should be OK, unless you go for a run :cool:

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Is Kiwi really drinking from those? I'm not sure my birds would realize this is water, but the little dish provided in the carrier should be OK, unless you go for a run :cool:
I didn't get a bottle yet I was just giving an example :)