• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie too small and doesn’t know how to fly yet. Weaned too early?

Eli

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Elizabeth Zhao
Hello two days ago I bought two new budgies to accompany my other two budgies. Before I got them, I was told they were homebred, and have left the nest (aka was weaned and has left the mother’s side. This was said in my mother language so some might misunderstand) One of the budgies was completely normal but the other one, was the runt of the clutch. It is the smallest budgie I’ve ever seen. The size of an Adult man’s thumb. It hadn’t known how to fly yet and there weren’t fully feathers on her butt yet. All she eats are seeds and veggies. I tried feeding her handfeeding formula but she doesnt like it. I’m worried that she might be malnutritioned or something bad might happen to her since she’s so small, doesn’t know how to fly yet and doesn’t fully have feathers yet. What should I do?

Quailer2

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mathis Michel
Does she have exposed skin?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
As long as she's not pooping seed then she's hulling and digesting them just fine.
Can you share a photo of them side by side?
She's still very young and hasn't fledged yet but that will happen. Now would be a good time to introduce pellets as a food option. I'd be tempted to offer them some mashed boiled egg - eggs contain everything needed to build a chick so contain a lot of what she may be lacking, especially protein.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Afterthought - may be worth getting a set of gram scales so you can see what's happening with her weight.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Elizabeth,

Weighing the bird and monitoring the weight is a good idea.

With no/small tail feathers, it could just be she was much younger than the others and they haven´t developed yet, or she could be a slow grower. I had a lovebird chick in a clutch of 4 and she was way smaller than everyone else, her flight took a while after the others to come but she did learn eventually. Treat your bird as you would a chick of that physical appearance rather than her real age. Be sure she is eating the adult foods, if not, offer some formula for her on a small spoon.

Eli

Real Name
Elizabeth Zhao
In my country we don’t have pellets so currently I’m feeding it seeds and veggies and fruits. ISTG the lil buddy can NOT stop gobbling the seeds

Eli

Real Name
Elizabeth Zhao
I
Hello Elizabeth,

Weighing the bird and monitoring the weight is a good idea.

With no/small tail feathers, it could just be she was much younger than the others and they haven´t developed yet, or she could be a slow grower. I had a lovebird chick in a clutch of 4 and she was way smaller than everyone else, her flight took a while after the others to come but she did learn eventually. Treat your bird as you would a chick of that physical appearance rather than her real age. Be sure she is eating the adult foods, if not, offer some formula for her on a small spoon.
She is eating adult food well. I’m just worried she wouldn’t have enough nutrition as she doesn’t take in any handfeeding formula

Eli

Real Name
Elizabeth Zhao
As long as she's not pooping seed then she's hulling and digesting them just fine.
Can you share a photo of them side by side?
She's still very young and hasn't fledged yet but that will happen. Now would be a good time to introduce pellets as a food option. I'd be tempted to offer them some mashed boiled egg - eggs contain everything needed to build a chick so contain a lot of what she may be lacking, especially protein.
I have posted multiple photos of her and the other budgies. At first I didn’t know I could reply

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Your little girl looks to actually be a boy. The yellow one is a boy and the blue a girl.
To be honest he looks fine, just a little smaller and younger than the others. I certainly see nothing to worry about.
Whereabouts in the world are you? Would it not be possible to order pellets from an online vendor?
the lil buddy can NOT stop gobbling the seeds
He has a lot more growing to do.

Eli

Real Name
Elizabeth Zhao
I
Your little girl looks to actually be a boy. The yellow one is a boy and the blue a girl.
To be honest he looks fine, just a little smaller and younger than the others. I certainly see nothing to worry about.
Whereabouts in the world are you? Would it not be possible to order pellets from an online vendor?

He has a lot more growing to do.
I live in Myanmar. It’s a small country in south east asia

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
You may be able to find pellets of some kind on ubuy, or look closely at seed mixes - a lot of them have pellets in them.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Do you have access to Ebay or Amazon? You can order pellets there but be sure they are small enough.

Eli

Real Name
Elizabeth Zhao
You may be able to find pellets of some kind on ubuy, or look closely at seed mixes - a lot of them have pellets in them.
I don’t have much access to western online shops. The Asian bird food brands only have seed mixes

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
He's so tiny! Since you don't have access to pellets make sure to give them time outside in a carrier for vitamins D and feed tons of vegetables. Even add grains like quinoa into the mix and some safe herbs and other safe plants.

Eli

Real Name
Elizabeth Zhao
He's so tiny! Since you don't have access to pellets make sure to give them time outside in a carrier for vitamins D and feed tons of vegetables. Even add grains like quinoa into the mix and some safe herbs and other safe plants.
Okiii thank uu